Greetings from the USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Eupher6, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Yes, we across the "pond" have a pretty good thing going and we're catching up fast. Put your seat belts on!

I've been playing euphonium since 1968 and made a career of it in the US Army. I've been retired from the Army more than 11 years now but I wasn't able to put either the euph or trombone down.

I got my first taste of Brit-style banding while stationed in Berlin, Germany, in the mid-Eighties. Up till that time I played mostly wind ensembles and brass ensembles of various sizes, as well as some solo work.

After retirement, I got into banding in a much bigger way and while I no longer play for a living, I'm enjoying it far more than I ever have.

My current band is the Brass Band of the Western Reserve. We're located out of Akron, Ohio. Dr. Keith Wilkinson is MD and we're fortunate to have him.

Allen Lawless

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    USA Yes
    have.My
    Keith Wilkinson
    Allen Lawless
    US Army
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Allen, welcome to tMP :hi

It's great to see more and more of our friends across the pond signing up with us. We have a few here already, from the BBC and Florida bands - nice to see we're venturing further west as it were.

Looking forward to reading your posts and contributions, please do regularly keep us up to date with what's happening to bands and brass musicians in your neck of the woods, always delighted to hear what's going on.

Thanks for registering with us and do spread the word.

John

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Good to have another US Bander on here and from one of my "local" bands (at least by U.S. standards)

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Akron is not that much further to the west then Columbus, John ;-)
    We also have some members (or at least one ;-) ) from the Chicago Brass Band...

6. DublinBass

Actually, Akron is a bit east of Columbus ;-) (but mostly North)

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Oh yes, it's Dayton that's to the South-West, right?

:biggrin:

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

By "West" I meant the USA in general...:)

9. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Many thanks for the warm welcome. BBCBass, congrats on your NABBA victory this year!

I wouldn't have even known about this discussion board had I not heard about it from and via Jim Grate, who is NABBA's Treasurer. Thanks Jim!

Yes, the BBWR is based out of Akron, but I live up north close to Lake Erie.

On a bit of a side note and perhaps a little off-topic, but I'm curious as to how commuting to rehearsals and gigs stacks up in the UK. I suspect that we commute more here in the USA, but I could be wrong. What say you on this issue? As for me, it's an hour drive one way and we rehearse once per week (unless it's NABBA time).

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Welcome! :clap:

11. DublinBass

Cheers!!

Might I suggest you start a thread in the "rehearsal room" about that topic as it is much more likely to get seen and responded to....good topic BTW!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    USA Yes
    have.My
    Keith Wilkinson
    Allen Lawless
    US Army
  13. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Erm, thank you, Jan. Yes, I post occasionally, but there are others from Chicago BB (including our MD) who lurk...

Good to hear from you, Allen! We played together in Prairie BB years ago.

14. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Yes, indeed, Steve!

I've moved around quite a bit since my Chicago days - moved from there in spring 1999 to Tennessee. Stayed there about a year, then took a job in Salt Lake City. Stayed there a little over 4 years, now we're in NE Ohio and have been here just about 2 years.

Except for Tennessee, in which brass playing is almost a lost art, I've kept up banding as well. Grew tremendously in Salt Lake City, and am enjoying BBWR even more.

Please give my regards to Roger and to Brad, and Amy too.

You guys are formidable! :clap: