Greetings from the Land of the Rising Sun!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jan H, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Just to let you know that I'm in Japan for a week (until Tuesday 21st if everything goes according to plan).

I've just arrived so I'm absolutely knackered and jet lagged right now (after 1 hour flying to Zurich, then 11 hours to Tokyo and then another 2,5 hours on a "limousine bus" to Utsonomiya). I do have broadband internet in my room, so I'll keep you all updated on how things are going.

Sayonara!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Land of the Rising Sun
    everything
    jet
    Sayonara
    Greetings
  3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

*waevs* Hellooooo!!!

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

whooo!
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiii from me here to you over-there!
    Enjoy the food!!! :D

yonhee likes this.
  5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Dont eat sushi!!! Or if you do cover it in very hot sauce stuff first.

6. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Lucky thing!!!! Have fun - c.u at the World Champs. (If you look like your avatar?...)

7. Jan H

I'm going to try everything!
    For the moment my chopstick skills are still below average, but I'm improving! ;)

8. Jan H

I will be there on sunday! (the own choice programs of the contest are not secret, and I saw your program in the W.M.C. guide that we received at home last week: It looks very exciting!)

and indeed, I look like my avatar. especially after 15 pints (like when that picture was taken :lol: )

9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Even shark? Actually you can get shark in loads of places...

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I had shark a few weeks ago, it's not very exciting... anyway, enjoy Japan!

11. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

oooo let me know what it's like, big sister is going to work out there for 6 months and there's a chance we might me out there for Christmas!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Land of the Rising Sun
    everything
    jet
    Sayonara
    Greetings
  13. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

hehe, when i saw the thread title i thought you meant you were in the rising sun chinese takeaway in town :tongue: never mind i'll shut up now!

14. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Don't eat the sea urchin...it is gross - like cold regurgitated frog spawn. Try tempura - very good deep fried battered fish / veggies and anything else you fancy. You will never eat fried/battered food anywhere else again. Raw tuna is also a must

Is it "Atzi" there at the moment?

Arigato gozeimas, Saionara

Ruth

15. Jan H

I just order what looks the best in the picture on the menu or in the display near the entrance :D
    Yesterday we went to eat in a Japanese restaurant close to the hotel. I don't what was in the menu, all kind of different stuff (including sushi). Very good, and more then enough to eat, for only about 10 pounds :)

I had a little book with some "Japanese for starters" but I can't find it now... :( but if "Atzi" means "rainy season", yes it is :eek:. According to the forecasts it's going top rain for 3 days starting tomorrow :eek: Did I have to go to Japan for that? I could just as well have gone to Britain :p

16. Jan H

Well, I've been to Bangkok (Thailand) and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) before. Based on those experiences, you definetly can see that you are in East-Asia (I think those other two try to copy Japan?). Of course, Thailand is poorer, and most Thai cities are a bit dirtier, less well maintained then Japanese. Kuala Lumupr is also different because of the large moslim population and also because KL clearly has a British colonial past. But the Malay and most Thai speek much better English (or is that "Engrish"? :biggrin:)

Of the three, I defintely like Japan the best so far.
    The English that you see on signs, advertisements and things like that is very funny :biggrin:
    Japanese mobile phones are amazing! they are twide as big as ours, but I think they have 10 times more functionalities :eek: (and they are cheap, but you can only use them in Japan; my phone doesn't work here)
    They have CNN dubbed in Japanese :confused:
    You're not supposed to gif taxi drivers a tip. Instead, they often give more change then needed. they often round their prices down... :eek::eek:
    All people are extremely friendly. Especially in the hotel. For example, there was a women who was supposed to bring my bags to my room, and she really insisted on it, although she was maybe 30 cm smaller then me. She literaly grabbed my suitcase from my hands, although it was quite heavy :eek: I know it's not very gentleman-like, but what could I do? At least I maneged to keep hold of my (also heavy) backpack... :redface:

I also have some bad news however: this Japan trip means that I won't be returniung to Oxford in the near future :( I'll have to find another reason to visit the UK ;)

17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

The mobile phones are twice as big? The ones Ive seen from japan are tiny...

18. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

"Atzi" means hot . My Japanese collegues used to laugh at me because I was always too hot. I always seem to go during the height of the summer.

Last time I went the Football World Cup was on (I detest football with a passion!) and everyone was stood in the streets watching the tvs in shop windows! They were all very excited that Japan got so far through. My Boss went to the England vs Brazil(?) game and left before the end - that was when all the excitement happened apparently.

Enjoy the rest of your time there

19. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Do not miss an excellent chance like this to go out there. It is a wonderful place. They are all very polite and friendly. Tokyo is ace for window shopping (Most stuff quite expensive though) Stationery and Hello Kitty goods are things which are quite cheap!!

Beware of snacks which look like chocolate, collegues have been caught out in the past - they have been dried fish! Pocky (Chocolate etc on a biscuity centre) are very good, though, and a good bet for bringing home

If you go to Tokyo, make sure you go for a ride on the water bus - great views of the city.
    Asakusa is great - there is a budhist temple and pagoda etc. also just outside are little trinket shops and traditional craft shops.

Get yourself the mini rough guide to Tokyo - really useful - They also do a rough guide to the Japanese language which would be a useful pressie for your sis (If she does not already speak Japanese)

Enjoy it if you do get to go

20. Jan H

ah ok. Sunday was quite hot and humid, but today was very nice. With a little breeze. No big rain yet fortunately...

21. Jan H

Yes, I was surprised too! They have phones that are as big ar ours from 10 years ago, but thay have built in TV, GPS, MP3 player, camera, diary, ... oh, and a phone too I suppose
    We even went into a Vodaphone shop to check out these big things.

For the rest of my update: I haven't seen much more then my hotel room and the Honda factory ove tthe past two days, so maybe something about the working experience: These Japanese engineers work like crazy! Almost everyday from 9 am to at elast 9 pm! (not on wednesday and friday, then they go home at 6 pm apparently).
    At Honda I have to were the white working outfit like everyone else, including the green baseball cap (see for instance http://world.honda.com/profile/production/ for some examples). Very funny too see everyone wearing those caps... :)
    For the rest they are superorganized off course. In the canteen, you have to choose your meal at the entrance, and follow collored lines on the floor to get to your food. There are even "pedestrian crossings" that interrupt these line :rolleyes:

ok that was it for now. we're going for a drink now, my colleague and I ;)