Green SA Carol Books

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by englishgill, Nov 17, 2009.

1. englishgill

englishgill Member

Now its getting to 'that time' of year can someone please advise me as to which of the Green SA carol books I need to cover all the harmonies when my 'ensemble' consists of
    2 cornets
    1 tenor horn
    1 Euph
    2 tenor trombones

What are the options? Can anyone help?

Thanks guys

Gill :biggrin:
  2. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

The green books are 4 part, so you need:

1st Cornet
    2nd Cornet or 1st Horn
    2nd Horn or Baritone
    Eb/Bb Bass

The Euph part is optional.

So maybe for your group

1st Cornet x2
    1st Horn
    Bass (played on trom)

You need either your euph player or one of the troms to play the Bass part
  3. Active Member

If you're talking about the green Christmas Praise books, these were replaced 15+ years ago by the red New Christmas Praise.

The parts allocation is the same for the red as it was for the green but with the addition of books suitable for woodwind and string instruments.
  4. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Hi Gill,

Contrary to the common view, not all Carols in the green Book could be played with basic SATB (O holy night for example).

I would go for the following for a reasonable Balance and Harmony with a little colour,

Solo Cornet,
    2nd Cornet,
    2nd Horn,
    1st Trombone
    2nd Trombone
    BbBass (Played by the Euph) and anything above middle G octaved down.

However as has been mentioned by WoB the new Red christmas books are in true SATB.
  5. englishgill

englishgill Member

Brilliant - that will save me an awful lot of looking at all the books whilst scratching my head! Thank you!
  6. englishgill

englishgill Member

Thanks also to you for your help! We are going for the green books as they are not being used by the band who owns them - they have the new Red books (with Rudolph arrangement in them!) Personally I prefer the arrangements of the green books and they also remind me of my time in youth band - sweet chiming christmas ******* anyone??!!! We will be sticking to the old favourites towards the front as we are playing before a very traditional church carol concert so Rudolph will not be required (sadly). Thanks again for the help guys!