Green Carol Books

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lauradoll, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Has anyone got a set of green Salvation Army carol books I could either borrow (for December) or buy? I'm taking my school band busking and I need a set fast. If anyone has random ones lying around then I can promise them a good home :)

I need about 8 cornet books, 4 tenor horns, 5 euph/ bari books and 5 trombone books and 2 Bb basses.

2. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I haven't got any sorry - but just wondered if you knew what was in them? LIke how many carols? I've seen them for sale on tinternet for £1 each, which seems quite cheap - just wonderd if they were worth getting instead of the red ones for our band.
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

They have all the traditional carols in them. They don't have the Christmas songs though which are in the red book - e.g. Jingle Bells, When Santa got stuck up the Chimney, 12 days of Xmas etc. Some might say that is a good thing...
  4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Im assuming your talking about the old green Christmas praise carol books?

These were replaced some years ago by the newer red ones. The red ones have many more 'non carols' such as Rudolph, etc, in them- as well as extra traditional ones, and some re-arrangements of them. Youd be better buying the red ones if you can, and im sure these are readily available from World of Brass. I seem to remember the green one had about 100 carols in it, and the red one has about 120??....

You might also be talking about the green SA christmas marches and selections book, which funnilty enough have lots of marches and selections/arrangements in, and are a very good buy! Also im sure available from W of B.
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I have to say I prefer some of the arrangements of some in the green books over the red books.

By quite a long way ;)

The secular stuff's useful, though.
  6. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

If you want some unused ones try your local Salvation Army band, I bet they've still got them at the back of a cupboard.
    I think I saw our old set somewhere, will have a look tonight.:)
  7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Cheers for all your help so far :)

We have the red ones already but some of them are quite tricky for the younger kids so we want the green ones as they're a bit easier and more traditional. Our local Salvation Army have a very active band so are using theirs (how inconsiderate) most of the days we would need them.
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Dammit I was going to ask our libarian tonight what he thought of getting rid of our old green books. I completely forgot. Sorry, but I will ask him next time I see him.

Agree with KMJ that some of the arrangements in the "old" books are better, but dare I say that this might be because the new books have significantly less show-offy euphonium parts...(thinking especially of "Who is he" and "brightest and best")...;)
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I have found second hand books here for sale ...
  10. si sourtone

si sourtone New Member

Have to say the old green books were far better than the new red ones... I knew all the numbers of the green ones and still do! Hmmm, how sad is that but I bet I'm not the only one?
  11. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Wicked- thanks for that. Will give them a call later on to see what they've got.

Thanks so much for all your help people! :)
  12. no2taz

no2taz Member

It is worth mentioning that as a SA player who has played for many years using the green books and then begrudgingly moved to the red ones that the arrangements in the green books are far better .

The only advantage to having the red books is the fact that they have included the non secular carrols i.e rudolf, and white cristmas however even those arrangements are not the best.

( this is only my oppinion )
  13. KMJ Recordings

Are you trying to say us euph players are show offs? :D

Don't forget good ol' number 52...and 43 is far better in the old book that whatever number it is in the new one.....

Silent Night always has to have a somewhat more ornamental obbligato in the middle verse even when it's played from the green books....I certainly don't remember any demisemiquavers or those top Cs being written. Sounds good, though, providing you've not had too much mulled wine :biggrin:
  14. KMJ Recordings

Of course, I wouldn't actually play anything that wasn't written without the express permission of the copyright owners...he says....rapidly looking for a ladder.....
  15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Whilst I fully agree concerning the quality of the arrangements, there is another respect in which the red books offer some advantage, and that is the availability of books for non-standard-brass-band pitched instruments. IOW, you can get C-melody books, F-horn alto & tenor part books, C-bassclef bass line, bassclef tenor line, etc, etc, ...
    These can be most useful in incorporating 'odd' instruments into an ad-hoc group at this time of year ...

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As I see it, the real disadvantage in the new books was that, in trying to produce arrangements that are playable by a minimal size group as well as a full band, you have lost a loty of the subtlety of the older settings. "The stable door", for example, has lost its lovely horn opening, and there are others that could be quoted. Strangely enough, there are some which seem to work either with a group of 8 or so, or with a full band, but sound a little off with a middle-sized combination. I personally prefer playing with either one or two basses, as it can get very stodgy otherwise.

Certainly a number of the modern secular numbers do not work well with a small combination. I'll be interested to see if this is any better with the new ensemble arrangements just released.
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you there, Gareth. We have a couple of engagements that we do with a small group, taking the timbrels along. As one of them also plays flute, it is nice to feature a flute solo occasionally, and it always goes down well.
  18. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Yup, green definitely best; and yes, I also remember all the numbers!!:tongue:
  19. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

To follow some of the repeats, first/second time bars in the red books you need a degree in Cartography.......I have one and still cant follow it!! Especially the likes of Sleigh Ride. We miss some of the good pieces out in the red books because we cant navigate around them...please tell me I am not alone!!:rolleyes:
  20. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

So.....does anyone have any I could buy/ borrow after that discussion? We definately want the green ones. Not the red. Thanks. :)