Green Banding

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by westburykid, Jun 8, 2009.

1. westburykid

westburykid Member

How much would banding change if the Band Registry stated that all players in the band must live within 20 miles of the bandroom?

It maybe in the future that with fuel prices we may have to play for the band "round the corner" and not travel some distance to play for a "better" band.
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

The rules did state that once, you know.
    Maybe not 20 miles, but there was a maximum distance that you could live from the band to be registered.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think it was 25 miles.
  4. i would agree to it now my band does!!!
  5. bbg

bbg Member

A laudable idea from the "green" point of view but totally unworkable in practice.
    Yes, there are many bands where players travel for kudos and prestige, but no doubt even more where folks travel to their "home" band even after moving away for work / family reasons.
    If I were to move from Perth to say, Dundee - 22 miles - should I be debarred from playing with my "own" band?
    What next - nobody allowed to travel anywhere more than a certain distance - just imagine the withdrawals from contests if the Green lobby got their way...............discuss............
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So would there be a maximum distance a band could travel for a contest as well?

Or perhaps if bands take mass transport (or band members en route to rehearsal), some requirements would be waived?
  7. Here in the U.S. some places don't have houses within twenty miles of each other.
  8. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

There are only 2 competing bands that are within 20 miles of me. What if neither had a vacancy? Should I stop playing, move, or change instrument yet again?
  9. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Could always enter a recording on-line then sit around in front of our web cams exchanging stories/bickering from the comfort of our own computer suites....
  10. jim

jim Member

If this was the rule I would pack in banding, it would never happen though.
  11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

An interesting exercise! If one could only join one's nearest band, I wonder which band would come out on top? Do any of the top bands have a pool full of entirely local players? Does any band at any level, come to that?

Think my nearest band is the much reduced City of Oxford.
  12. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Not ours.... would leave 5 players. :confused:
  13. yank67

yank67 Member

That would be great for trombone players!:clap::clap::clap:
  14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

20 miles or so from the Pans is a semicircle from, roughly, Cramond down to (almost) Lauder and back up to Dunbar - and obviously including all of Edinburgh.

So where are D&M players commuting from these days - Berwick? Glasgow? ;)
  15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

No Deek, Moomin Dave said imagine if you could only play for your nearest band...... instead of 20 miles! But now u mention it.......;)
  16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

:oops: I saw that but it somehow didn't register....

In those circumstances, we'd lose a few, gain a few, and probably have a boundary war with Nitten! ;)
  17. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

A nice idea but not likely to come into practice.
    Players would be lying about their addresses to get into the band of their choice or houses in the band catchment areas would shoot up in value!
  18. At last - an advantage for living on an island. All of our players live within 5 miles of the bandroom but I suppose it doesn't count due to our geographical location!

Though the saving on fuel and travel costs to rehearsals are probably counter-acted by the costs/energy used to get to contests by air though. :)
  19. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

EEK!! Better get some practice in then as the nearest band to us is Brighouse & Rastrick!(about half mile away.)
    Who's gonna break it to t'missus that under Brighouse's rules, she's going to have to have an...erm....''operation''!!:eek:
  20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think you might be overestimating the impact of the average brass band on the economy there.