Greatest Euphonium solo EVER!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by beard_4b, Sep 10, 2003.

1. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Called me biased for being a member, but once again - no1 writes euphonium solos like salvation army composers:

The better world - an absolute gem love to hear thornton play this!
    song of the brother - classic heard bob childs play this at canton salvation army, fantastic!
    the great adventure
    brillante - by peter graham i know, but he used to be in the salvation army so therefore!!!
    the conquerer

any thoughts?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    canton salvation army
    salvation army composers
    euphonium solos
    absolute gem
    bob childs
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Is there some kind of competition going on today or something between Salvation Army and none salvation army bands? :? You seem to be starting threads up all over the place on how much better they are in every respect none army bands. Whats your point? Aren't we all the same genre here? :?

4. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I agree with the second point that we are all the same genre. However the first point I don't think applies. The questions are: The greatest ....ever. If Beard_4b thinks that the S.A. solos and soloists are the best then it is his prerogative. It is up to everybody to reply with their subjective view.

5. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

I'm just trying to get some discussions started, and i want to know peoples opinions on the matters!

Hi mike!

6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I know, it's just that he's started three threads up along these lines and doesn't appear to be willing to change views. Personally as regards Euphonium solos I can think of plenty of crackers not from the S.A. repetoire. Peace by John Golland is a excellent solo, and takes a great player to perform it properly as a slow melody. Oration by Howard Snell is in the same vein, looks simple but when done properly it's magic. Wilby's euph concerto is a great extended work for euph. There's all sorts knocking about now with todays great euph players getting new works written all the time.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think the bench-mark against which all extended euphonium pieces have to be judged is the Horowitz Concerto, which still stands up very well, particularly when the more lyrical side is allowed to come to the fore. I also like the two John Golland concerti as well as the Wilby, and look forward to hearing the Aagaard-Nilsen, which I understand is quite ferocious in places!

As for more "traditional" type solos, I have a soft spot for Leidzen's Home on the Range, especially Trevor Groom's recording.

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Euphony by Bob Redhead - the solo is about 25 years old but still great stuff!

John

9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I couldn't agree more Peter.

Edited: Quote inserted (RT)

10. leisa

leisa Active Member

i like softly as i leave you and la belle americane

11. Di B

Di B Member

Far too many out there that are good to listen to and good to play!

Some of my faves include Party Piece (Sparke?) for showiness (and it 'ain't the easiest of solos!!!), Be My Love played well gives me goosebumps even now... takes a lot of control and a good sound (no, I don't listen to myself playing it! lol!)

Another fave that I can't play (although it is through shoddy lip flexibility!) is the classic Varied Mood.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    canton salvation army
    salvation army composers
    euphonium solos
    absolute gem
    bob childs
  13. Euph Kidd

Euph Kidd Member

The Ellerby Euphonium Concerto is amazing, with a brilliant slow movement! Pantomime is a classic too. Im trying to find Peter Graham's Bravura Variations with a piano accompaniment, anyone got any ideas?
    Richard

14. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Surely a well played 'Grandfather's Clock' is as great as any!

15. faerie

faerie Member

Gah. I heard this over summer as a solo (instead of a duet) over summer and it brought a tear to my eye, more for personal reasons that the playing, but I agree, it can be lovely! And that F at the end!! :wow

A personal favourite is Song For Ina (Sparke? just got back from the pub so maybe not!). Easy to play but diffilcult to perform, if anyone follows my drift.

I also admit to loving the Horowitz concerto, especially the first movement. It was the one solo I always wanted to play with my band, but they wouldnt have managed their parts... anyone fancy a guest soloist? ;)

16. Danny

Danny New Member

Euph

The best performance of any solo/concerto I have heard was Bob Childs playing the Wilby! In the movement "arabian dance" or something like that it was truly outsatnding!

David Thornton plays a Rossini solo called introduction and theme and it is possibly the hardest thing I have ever heard written for a brass instrument. But as he always does, makes it sound so easy and so impressive!

17. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

As a piece of music I would say 'Bydlo' from Picture at an Exhibition is hard to beat as a Euph solo.

18. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Locomotion - the eupho equivilent to golden slippers!

19. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

One of my favourite Euphonium Solo's is "Spirit of Life" by David Catherwood. It's featured on the 'Odyssey' CD by the International Staff Band and is played by Derek Kane. - Superb!!

:wink:

20. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

Brilliante - Peter Graham has to be my number one (duet not solo of course.) The best recording that I have of it is by the Childs Bros at the British Bandsman Centenery Concert....fantastic!

Also love the solo arrangement of Softly Awakes My Heart - Saint Saens (not sure who arranged it though.)

21. BobRalston

BobRalston Member

Greatest Euphonium

I beg to differ.

Golden Slippers is in a different league.

22. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

similar in style! and if you look at locomotion a lot of the characteristics are the same - same composer aswell.

Golden slippers is in a different league because it is a cornet solo and cornet is a far superior instrument than a euphonium!!!!!!!!