Great project! Old movie footage of Brass bands!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by youngblood, Apr 15, 2007.

1. youngblood

youngblood Member

Have you any old footage of brass bands, brass playing or the Durham Miners Gala sitting at home waiting to be seen?

I have just had an email and one of the Arts Development Officers at Durham County Council is working with the British Film Institute (BFI) to create a film of all the clips to be shown in the first two weeks in July (I leave it to you can guess why that time). It is to be transported around County Durham as a mobile cinema. After that I believe it will be loaned out for private or public showings!

Then over the following year they will be looking for a composer and a band to create some new music set to the film. This will then be played live at a large scale film show at the Gala Theatre, Durham in July around the time of the Miners Gala.

Have you any old footage (pre 2005) ideally older as that is harder to come by that you would like to be included?

If used you will recieve a mention in the credits, 2 VIP tickets to the showing in 2008 and of course maybe best of all your footage will be seen by a lot of people.

If you have any footage then contact them and they will tell you what needs to be done. It may be that the BFI will need to have the original to add it to their archives or it maybe that you can have it transfered to disc in a local camera shop and send that in.

Send email titled:

BRASS film

to
    info@brassfestival.co.uk

I am also interested to hear what you have and what you think of the idea so thoughts here please. You can also give your thoughts to them via the forum on their website which has been mentioned in other threads.

I wonder what the oldest footage is we have amongst us!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    project
    bands
    brass bands
    original
    one
  3. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

I love the idea! A new brass commission and a new film. I hope you get the response you want, thank you for asking us.

They seem to be so positive and supportive to brass and brass bands in County Durham!

Brassy

4. youngblood

youngblood Member

Clearly early brass players were not into film. I expect they had their hands full!