Great Northern Brass Arts Festival - Saturday 4th September

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Active Member

This event is now well established in the brass band calendar and for many marks the start of the new season, if I may use a sporting analogy.

Held at the magnificent Bridgewater Hall in Manchester the 2004 event will be held on Saturday 4th September with sponsorship from Besson, BBC GMR, Yamaha and World of Brass.

The timetable of events is as follows;

12noon; Rochdale Youth Band
    2.15pm; Household Troops Band Guest soloist; Carl Saunders (cornet)
    4.15pm; Brighouse & Rastrick Band
    7.15pm; Black Dyke Band, Fodens Richardson Band and Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band

Foyer music will be provided by Corus Brass and Euph4ria and the compere will be John Maines.

There are various ticket deals available including an 'all-inclusive' package from £20.
    The Bridgewater Hall Box Office can be contacted on 0161 907 9000 or

Highlights at this years festival include the first UK performance of BLAZE, a new concerto for cornet by Phil Lawrence to be performed by Richard Marshall and Grimethorpe.
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I've SO gotta make sure that I'm free for that one!!!! Sounds great!

:lol: :wink:
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

oo... day after I finish work... may be seriously hungover, but if I'm awake I will be there! Sounds like a half decent line up... i suppose...

(obviously couldn't afford Flixton's fees...)
  4. jonford

jonford Member

Any idea of any of the programmes yet?
  5. Active Member

Richard Marshall is set to perform BLAZE, a new cornet concerto by Phil Lawrence - UK Premiere.
    Once I have more programme details, I'll post them here.
  6. Golden-Hynd

Golden-Hynd Member

Looks like a good gig. I'm doing it with the troops in the afternoon but wouldn't mind going in the evening. Any1 no if there are any tickets left?

7. jonford

jonford Member

8. jonford

jonford Member

9. Active Member

10. Active Member

The programme details for the evening Gala Concert at 7.15pm are as follows;

Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band conducted by Richard Evans
    Scottish Dances (Arnold)
    Cockaigne Overture (Elgar)
    Blaze (Lawrence) soloist; Richard Marshall (UK Premiere)
    Spectrum (Vinter)

Fodens Richardson Band conducted by Major Peter Parkes
    Simmoraine (Barraclough)
    Bachanalle (Saint Saens)
    Rule Britannia (Hartmann) Soloist; Glyn Willaims
    Elegy from A Downland Suite - Ireland
    Journey into Freedom (Ball)

Black Dyke Band conducted by Dr Nicholas Childs
    Queensbury (Kaye)
    Carnival of Venice (Steigers) Soloist; Roger Webster
    Purcell Variants (Peter Meechan) (World Premiere)
    Opus One (Cy Oliver arr Fernie)
    I Only Have Eyes for You (Warren arr Fernie)
    Mack The Knife (Kurt Weill arr Richards)
    Children of Sanchez (arr Reid Gilje) Soloist; John Doyle
    Czardas (Monti) Soloist; Joe Cook
    Finale from Symphony No 4 (Tchaikovsky)
  11. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

In previous years there has always been a short march, followed by an out-door concert by united SA and contesting bands before the indoor events start. Is this going to happen again this year? There has been no reference to it anywhere for this year. If it is happening, which bands will be taking part, and what time will it be happening?
  12. ju33les

ju33les Member

4barsrest have the answer to that one Brian...but you probably have looked on there alreadysince posting.
    See you Saturday!
  13. impycornet

impycornet Member

Anyone who is still trying to decide whether or not to go .......................

GO !!!

Richard Marshall's UK premiere of 'Blaze' will be worth the entry fee alone.

Possibly the most technically demanding solo written for the Cornet - But a good piece to listen to as well.

I believe you can still get all inclusive tickets for around £20 for the full day. This is excellent value for money considering some of the top bands in the country will be performing.
    ( Oh and Brighouse are there too :p )
  14. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Thanks Jules! I saw it on Thursday night after band practice. See you tomorrow!
  15. Golden-Hynd

Golden-Hynd Member

LOL. Ended up playing in the evening concert as well so didn't need my ticket! Wat did every1 think of the day in general?

16. jonford

jonford Member