Great Concert

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Highams, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Highams

Highams Member

Went to a brilliant concert last night (Saturday) in the Royal Albert Hall, the Mountbatten Festival of Music with the massed bands of the Royal Marines.

Excellent playing and some good pieces including 'Independance Day' Windows of the World' (with 4 euphs standing solo in Celtic Dream) and the Finale from the Saint Seans 'Organ Symphony' with the newly restored organ.

Funniest thing was the begining of the concert. The bands are seated and a subtle tuning note is given and the sound gets to a warm level as all the different instruments join in. It then dies slowly and there is a moments silence until..........a huge pedal tuning note fortissimo on a lone tuba! who then stands to take his applause!

Brilliant.

CB

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    concert
    playing
    bands
    pieces
    solo
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad it was good: I was up at the RAH on Thursday to book some tickets, and thought at first there was some sort of international summit going on - roads blocked off, pavement barriers, police & military everywhere - but then they explained what it was. I can understand the need to be careful, but I did wonder who meets the security costs, and whether it has to come out of the proceeds of the concerts.