Grd 3/4 ish Pieces..

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Vickitorious, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Well, I'm teaching a lil boy the tenorhorn now, and have been doing for about 6 months now. He's 9 and passed his grade 3 just before xmas, and now his other teacher at school is pushing him to do his grade 4.

Thing is he only has the books for his grade 3 pieces really, and 1 book with a few grade 4 pieces. Most of which he can play already. (the little 4 line things) I think he could do with the push of playing some 'proper' music so he can play them in contests and festivals. SO I had a look on the ASBRM website and the syllabusses and was like :eek: when I saw that Apres un Reve and Mountain melody were on the list! (i did them for my grade 5 & 6!!! :confused::confused:) I think they're a bit out of his reach yet.

His range goes from bottom G to top G, so I was just wondering if anyone knew any 'real' pieces, that he could buy that are about grd 3/4 sort of standard, because I'm stuck! My memory doesn't go that far back :rolleyes:

(P.s Just looked through the Guildhall sylabuss.. the grd 8 part is messed up seriously! Skelter... compared to masquerade and capriccio Brilliante.. whats going on there!! :eek::eek:)
  2. steve_r

steve_r Member

I could ask my daughter to go through all her old music folders if that would help?

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ouch! ;)
  4. Di

Di Active Member

I could answer with "I believe she gaves loads of her early music away, some time ago, to a group of learners" but I'll save that for a domestic discussion later and not clog up the boards. ;)
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

This thread is a sad indicment of society today that a family now converse via an internet forum!
  6. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If his range is from G to G the if my memory serves me right Apres un Reve only goes upto a top A, the tune isn't that hard and maybe pushing him to extend his range if only by one note wouldn't be a bad thing I would give it a go

My daughter is working on Grade 4 horn and she is playing Send in the Clowns she is 8 nearly 9 and she seems to manage the range of it I think highest note is a top F otherwise what about Suil e Ruin from cry of the celts for contesting and festivals she's playing that at the moment as well that goes upto a top G
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2006