Grandfathers Clock by George Doughty

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sugarandspice, Mar 17, 2005.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Does anyone know anything about this piece?!! history...etc, Am attempting to write programme notes but have just realised I know nothing about the music I am playing and Google is useless!! :)
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

It was recorded for Best of Brass by Dyke... I've got the ultravibby recording upstairs somewhere, i'll dig it out and see if there's any notes on there...
  3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

sorry it took so long... the cd sleeve is entirely useless... doesn't even tell me when it was recorded. Sorry!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

One thing I have found is that the tune was written by Henry Clay Work in 1876. I'll try and find out more ....

okay dokay! I emptied a cupboard to get to the original recording of the solo and ....
    ... it was George Doughty's first work for soloist and brass band. The first recording was done by John Clough (euphonium) and Black Dyke Mills Band (conducted by Roy Newsome) and originally recorded in MONO for Pye Records (Golden Guinea Popular Series) on the LP called 'The Champions' in 1968 (catalogue number MONO GGL 0410). Erm, not much more about it from F. J. Beckingham on the sleeve!
  6. Highams

Highams Member

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I didn't realise he wrote a sequel too!

""Grandfather's Clock" is indisputably the greatest of furniture songs. It avoids sentimentality by its strong story-line and by the humor which moves the story along. (Note the stream of puns in the later verses.) It is, in fact, because of this song that free-standing floor clocks are called "grandfather clocks." Two years later Work wrote a sequel to "Grandfather's Clock", mimicking the rapid ticking of the newfangled wall clock as "Grandfather's Clock" mimics the old clock's sedate ticking. The sequel is not in a class with the original song; but the double meaning adjective "stuck-up" for the wall clock is a vintage Henry Clay Work pun.

"Grandfather's Clock" was the last major success for Henry Clay Work. It was not, however, his last great song. When the 1880-85 material is added to this online collection, be sure to look for his song "The Silver Horn." "
  9. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Think I remember John Clough saying that Grandfather's Clock was actually written for him also.

Interesting (or not!) point to note- its one of very few air varies to have the variations in a different key to the theme!

TIMBONE Active Member

I was travelling on a coach to a professional orchestral engagement in the 1980's with Marcus Cutts. Marcus was at one time solo euphonium with Faireys when they were a works band. He was also the man who was always booked to play tenor tuba in the Planet Suite, (and some Richard Strauss music), for the Halle and the then BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra. This is the story he told me.

He was at a rehearsal one day with the Fairey Band, and along came George with a handwritten arrangement done especially for him - Grandfathers Clock.
  11. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

We recently did 'Grandfathers Clock' and our prog notes mentioned that it is arguably the first 'pop hit' in that it was the first piece of music to sell a million copies of the sheet music.