Grand Shield

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mike S, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Mike S

Mike S Member

So, the bands for the Grand Shield in May are now announced. What are your predictions? I would expect the top 6 to include Sellars, Travelsphere, Leyland, Desford, Fishburn and Rothwell Temperance

The list of bands is:

Aveley & Newham
    Beaumaris
    Besses o'th Barn
    Desford Colliery
    East Yorkshire Motor Services
    Fishburn
    Flowers
    Glossop Old
    Hepworth
    Innovate Skelmanthorpe
    J.A.G. Mount Charles
    Jaguar (Coventry)
    Kibworth
    Leyland
    Lindley
    Newstead Welfare
    Redbridge
    Rothwell Temperance
    Sellars International
    Stocksbridge
    Travelsphere Holidays
    United Cooperatives York Brass

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Grand Shield So
    Desford
    Sellars
    Travelsphere
    Newham Beaumaris Besses
  3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Very nice of you to say.....we would be happy with top three :wink:

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I reckon Leyland, Sellers, Hepworth, Flowers, Rothwell and Besses

5. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

What a piece! Had a run through it on sunday night and our Euph player (who has played with Fodens until recently) said it was the hardest piece he has ever played! "What hope have the rest of us got?" I said to my fellow 2nd cornet! Must be the toughest piece for the 3rd/4th solo cornets, rep player and flugel! (unlucky John!) from Tristan to Les Preludes, what next for the flugels!

Leyland should figure by being current Masters Champions and Sellers after a good placing in the Yorkshire Regionals. Must be said that this year's Shield is one of the toughest competitions as there are so many bands of the same class. I think its changed venue to the Opera House now, less boomy hopefully, the ballroom spoilt so many performances with the sound of the hall. What is the Opera House in Winter Gardens like? Its supposed to be massive!

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

7. if i could have a each way bet i'd go for newstead welfare being up there.anything can happen on this piece.it's all about certain players holding their nerve.maybe there might be an upset. lets hope so.

8. deave

deave Member

Les Preludes is best piece i've ever played as a 3rd man...sadly i made a hash of it at the open in '01 !!

Would love chance to put that right this year, but I'm missing contest with Sellers as it's my sisters wedding. "Shh!" tho, i'm not very popular in huds at the moment because of that!

Deave - 3rd man Sellers

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

what's with this talk of betting , this is the Grand Shield....not the 3.30 from Newmarket..it just puts extra pressure on the relegated from the Open ..I have played at a few Grand Shields and only qualified for the open once , I think it is one of the most difficult contests to qualify from.

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well travelsphere, after a very good showing at the areas, have got to be in with a shout... time to bounce back up? Sellers probably, and Leyland are definitely going to be in the running I would imagine...

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

The Opera House should be far more suitable than the empress ballroom. The curtains etc. on stage make it much harder to project the band sound and usually means the bigger sounding bands fair better. You can hear far more detail than in the empress ballroom too!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Grand Shield So
    Desford
    Sellars
    Travelsphere
    Newham Beaumaris Besses
  13. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Depends what the adjudicators, (Roy Newsome and James Scott), are looking for I suppose.

However, sop players will be in the limelight, (or possibly spotlight), on this one. It's certainly hard work for the cornet section- front principal right down to 3rd cornet.

Band who have good strong cornet sections should be able to make a good impression.

Igg

14. agree with you nick.excellent contest.wellrun from the trophy upto shield should be a good days contesting.

15. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

I'm going to give it to sellers this time, they've been playing well and deserve to get a result.
    1. Sellars International
    2. Leyland
    3. Flowers
    4. Hepworth
    5. Desford Colliery
    6. Fishburn

16. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

1. Flowers
    2. Leyland
    3. Sellers
    4. East Yorkshire motor Services
    5. Fishburn
    6. Travelsphere Holidays

Dunno why, jus sounds gud.

17. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, just one place higher would be great! :D

18. Pierre

Pierre Member

:shock: Would love to see Sellers 2nd or 3rd as long as we were one place infront like last year! :lol:

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I would agree that Leyland and Sellers should do well, but I wouldn't write off Redbridge and Aveley. It's certainly likely to be a very tough one this year :!:

20. jambo

jambo Member

1. Hepworth
    2. Leyland
    3. Sellers
    4. Flowers
    5. Rothwell
    6. Beaumaris

I think it'll be close between the top three with all of them in top form at the moment.

I just have an incling that its Hepworths turn though. After a run of second places just about everywhere recently and an outstanding performance at the area that certainly did not merit their position, I think its time for the quality of the band from Holmfirth to finally get what it deserves!

C'MON Hepworth!

21. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Having never been to the Grand Shield or the Cup or the Trophy i must say that the predictions i've seen are certainly wide ranging and it seems that (unlike many of the regional contests) it is anybody's for the taking.

Why then do we think that this is not the case in the regionals and(especially from my experience at Bradford and Darlington) we often see the same bands qualifying?

I'm sure there's a logical answer to all this and i'm probably missing some obvious point!!!!

22. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Because the bands that win go into the open and the bands that come bottom in the open go down to the grand shield. It's a graveyard contest. Must be one of the hardest to win by a long way.