Grand Shield Test Piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by edward_allen, Oct 25, 2003.

1. edward_allen

edward_allen New Member

Any idea when the test piece for the Grand Shield will be announced ? Anyone know what it's going to be ?
  2. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

I wonder if it will be my newest tespiece, Transists of Mercury?

mmmmm :wink:
  3. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I have heard a rumour about the Grand Shield piece. A piece which has been used as the top section area qualifier in the last 10 years!

4. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

You're always hearing rumours! Were you right with your area pediction by the way?
  5. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Yes my source came up with the goods again. Tristan Encounters was what I was told and, as if by magic.....

Same source for the Grand Shield piece also, although this person admitted to me that they weren't quite so sure about this one as they were for the area.

To my knowledge, the last 10 years of area qualifying testpieces are thus...

2003 Prague
    2002 Whitsun Wakes
    2001 Jazz
    2000 Variations on an Enigma
    1999 Blitz
    1998 Montage
    1997 Lowry Sketchbook
    1996 Sounds
    1995 Un Vie de Matelot
    1994 Partita
    1993 Of Men and Mountains

If my source is correct, then it is one of those. Some would seem to be more likely than others.

6. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Last year, the Spring Festival and Masters test pieces were announced at the end of November. So that'll be 4 weeks then.

IYOUNG Member

Grand shield

Does this mean 4 weeks of:-
    '' I know from a reliable source what it is but i can't tell you''

Yawn !

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Probably... no, I mean, more than likely!
    I'm never interested in peoples "this is what I've heard" comments... It's boring, and probably false, which, from looking at most of the posts with speculations in the past a lot of people have been wrong...
    Why people just can't wait for the pieces to be annonced for these things I really dont know... :roll:
  9. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Un Vie de Matelot was used a couple of years back, I think in the Senior Cup (but I'm awaiting correction...), so it's probably safe to rule that one out. I'm not sure anyone will be brave enough to set Prague again for a while :!: , so that does at least narrow it down a bit more.

Of course, predicting test pieces is a dodgy game at best, even for Igg and sources :wink: so it might be something that isn't even on the list!! We could all just be sensible and wait for the announcement...but where's the fun in that?!

10. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

..and that is why you have posted on this topic?

Morgohoven is correct. I think you can rule out Prague and Un Vie de Matelot.

11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

der, no!
    :roll: where on Earth did you get that thought from?! lol
    My point is that rumours are rumours, nowt more... usually a load of *beep*... don't mind seeing what people would like to play at these contests... now that's a different story!!!

12. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Well, you have posted again- perhaps your interest is growing stronger!! You are now one of the leading posters in this topic!! :p

Only joking!

However, there is no smoke without fire and (as a wise man once said) knowledge is power. I have been told a specific piece but I dont want to reveal sources etc. It is one of the ones I have mentioned. I might be wrong but I dont mind. For my money, I like all the speculation and guessing. that is what these sort of forums are all about.

13. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

The Brass Band World is full of rumour and speculation as it always will be and alot of people love that (probably all of us at some point!). You only have to look at many of the topics on tMP to realise that and to some extent it is healthy.

Anyway, enough of my philosophical waffle! Think you can count Partita out also as it was the Sheild piece a few years ago. Personally would love to see Of Men And Mountains used as it great work which is sadly neglected in many quarters-why it has never been used at any of the majors I'll never understand!
  14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

from the list I reckon/would like to play or hear:

Variations on an Enigma
    Lowry Sketchbook

but not necessarily in that order!