Grand Shield/S Cup/S Trophy Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JTKBrass, Nov 25, 2003.

1. JTKBrass

JTKBrass Member

From the 4 bars rest site -

Grand Shield - Les Preludes (B. Gay)
    Senior Cup - Journey Into Freedom (E. Ball)
    Senior Trophy - Concerto For Band (J. Golland)

2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Interesting choices, and very difficult ones at that! At least we are sure that the bands who master these pieces deserve to go up! Nice to see Journey into Freedom back out, but I feel this piece could still easily sort out bands at the Open, never mind the senior cup. Hoping they move the shield from the terrible acoustic that is the ballroom and make it a fair contest though.

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I've been told that the Shield will be in the Opera House next year. Not sure about Les Preludes - I prefer the Rimmer, warts and all, to something that pretends to be a faithful transcription.

Anyone know the Golland? Can anyone tell us the publisher???

D

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Try Kirklees Music - (Original Works - £48.50)

http://www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk/

:wink:

5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Good choices there for the Shield and the Cup. Don't know the Golland but the other two will sort bands out.

Sam

6. Martin Hall

Martin Hall Member

Nobody should complain about these test's, its a great contest and I think whatever the bands play, the atmopshere, the venue and the quality of bands makes the experince enjoyable.

We Wakefield Met played for the first time this year in the Trophy and although we came a credible 14th, the new points system did not do us any favours and thus we haven't qualified for 2004. Crying shame and I envy everyone who will be playing.

Alas, good luck to those bands playing and I hope to enjoy the peices from the stance of being a spectator!

I agree with David re: Les Preludes!!!

7. asteria

asteria Member

Fantastic choice of pieces, not entirely sure which one we're playing but couldn't be happier!

Loved the Rimmer version of Les Preludes, but the other is good too, so i'll definitely be doing some listening this year. And Journey into Freedom, a piece i've always wanted to sink my teeth into! :D

8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Glad I'm not doing first if we end up doing Journey!! Aargh!!!

9. JTKBrass

JTKBrass Member

Must say I prefer the Bram Gay Les Preludes to the Rimmer, much more in it ! We did it when it was the set test at last years European Open and the band loved it !

The Golland is a great wee piece, had a listen to it at lunchtime. Always liked it but wouldn't use it as an own choice piece as it's not known at all, but glad it's been picked here.

10. shawneuph

shawneuph Supporting Member

As someone who plays for a band that has just come down to the shield from the open i am more than happy with the choice as we played it 2 years ago at the open !! So along with i think 3 other bands in the shield we have all recently contested with this arrangement.If i played for any of the other bands in the section a would probably feel a bit annoyed that the 3 or 4 bands that would be expected to be in the winnning frame next spring have all recently contested with this arrangement.Do you not think ?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Grand Shield
    B. Gay
    J. Golland
    E. Ball) Senior Trophy - Concerto For Band
    Cup - Journey Into Freedom
  12. JTKBrass

JTKBrass Member

Sometimes its a bad thing tho ! Done that many a time where we've played a piece a few years after contesting with it, half the band has changed since then, the other half played it before under a different conductor and can't change the way they play it, or get bored with it while the new players try and bring it up to standard ... i'd be more annoyed if I was in the 3 or 4 bands who had played it before, not getting the chance to play a new work !

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

For anyone wanting to get to know the Golland "Concerto for Band", 4barsrest have recently posted a review of the recording by Manger Musikklag:

http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/cds/cdrev100.asp

The recording couples music by John Golland with works by Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen and is well worth exploring, even if you're not involved in the contest!

14. ersop

ersop New Member

I have heard an interesting viewpoint (not mine) that suggested that the British open piece from year X should be the Grand Shield piece for year X+1, The Senior Cup Piece for year X+2 and the Senior Trophy Piece for year X+3. Therefore for 2004 we would have Venus+Jupiter, Maunsell Forts and Les Preludes. Maybe a bit harsh you might think (or perhaps biased towards the relegated Open bands, but I suppose the whole point is progression. No disrespect to any Bands that are at Blackpool in May next year, but those 3 pieces are both worthy of selection and indicative of the standard required for Bands reaching the Open. If Bands in the Senior trophy could do justice to the Open piece of 3 years ago (not saying they cant, but i'd be surprised if more than a handful got through it with any justification) then the standards would surely improve.

Like I said, just something ive heard BUT it makes for interesting thoughts.