Grand Sheild Poser?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by drunkandy, Apr 28, 2004.

1. drunkandy

drunkandy New Member

How can we go from Tallis Variations last year to Les Preludes.. it beggars belief. I think it is so technically difficult for all the exposed players, and my good luck to you all :D I think it is harder than Jazz and that was probably the hardest piece I've ever played.... Anybody with any views?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Grand Sheild Poser
    Tallis Variations
    Les Preludes
    exposed players
    good luck
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Hardest thing I've ever laid eyes on.

Wasn't it the british open test piece a while back?

4. missflugel

missflugel Member

It was the Open piece in 2001 i think.

The back row cornet part isnt that hard (personally speaking) but I know Sop and Flugel have a lot of work to do

Jo x

5. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Well, i dont like Les Preludes at all (strictly from a percussionists view!) In Tallis Variations we had loads to do, keeping us "amused" and bits were challenging...but in Les Preludes, 2 of us dont even play a note until after bar 344!!! :!: When you take the championship area test piece (Tristian Encounters)....which was mad for percussion....its from one extreme to the other. I'm sure many bands struggled to get percussionists for Tristian Encounters, and now they have them...they are faced with 344 bars rest. Its from one end of the scale to the other!

(sorry, rant over with....just pees me off a little :roll: )

6. missflugel

missflugel Member

Its because the piece was taken from the orchestral version and perhaps there wasnt much percussion in that. The original didnt have much for percussion either. Anyway i though perc might have wanted a break after Tristan :wink: , perhaps not until the last page of the piece though!

Jo x

7. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Oh i know it was an orchestral piece (and percussion wasnt really on top of lizst music)....i just think the choice is a let down after Tristian. I have to admit....i enjoyed every min of Tristian, was nice to have something to do that actually "meant" something in the piece, and wasnt just random tapping in the background that adjudicators never pick up on (played right or wrong :wink: )

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Amen to that. Our percussion section worked really hard to get their parts bang on for coventry variations at the areas, then percussion didn't get any more than a cursory mention in the adjudicator's comments for any band, right or wrong.

Bit of a thankless task being a drummer, by the look. (Not that I'd know being a bass player.)

9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

Les Preludes is a briliant piece, although there's nothing much for ftrombones either.

Saying that, I played at the aforementioned open, and a few bands fell foul, especially sop players unfortunately. Flugels too have a hard part.

what will be interesting is how many bands change formation? The most common change was putting sop on the front row at the open, but we'll see eh?

Good luck to all those sop and flugels who have to play it!

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

A little challenge is LP! Apart from perc, but hey- this is liszt we're talking about!

;-)

11. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Grand Sheild Poser
    Tallis Variations
    Les Preludes
    exposed players
    good luck
  13. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

We wish!!!

I really don't think bands realise how little the composer/arranger's get from sales, it can vary between 10 and 15% depending on the publisher.
    I didn't come to work in Oman just for the sunshine (as nice as it is)!
    :lol:

14. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

When you mentioned the Grand Shield Poser, I thought you meant when Heppy puts his F1 cap and shades on.

Thing that bugs me - apart from coming to rehearsals to read my book, when I could do it in the comfort of my own sofa - is the fact that you need FOUR percs(p) for only p^3.5 bars!!
    THIS REALLY ISN'T VERY TIME EFFICIENT.
    Neither is it cost effective for the bands that are having to buy players in.

'ERE selector guys!! 'Ave a thought between you next time, yeah?

15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I think it's good news that 'Les Preludes' is the test work. After all, the bands that qualify for the Open have to be able to play works as and if not more demanding in the Open.

Think the contest will be a cracker and the piece will encourgae higher standards from every band in attendance.

16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Having played the euphonium part, I can safetly say it's quite a monster! Most of the piece is pretty much OK, but there are some very tricky technical parts and some incredibly exposed parts ... :)

17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

its to balance out the europeans test piece ;)

18. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Les Preludes is hard, but if a band can't get near it then they won't hold their own in the Open. I can see half the bands being ruled out of the running after the first eight bars or so, and half the rest on the performance of the sop players! :shock:

19. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

But why should perx have it so easy?
    You very rarely get a piece that is SIMPLE for the brass players in the band.
    I was under the (seemingly foolish) impression that the works were selected to be Test Pieces?

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Unless they play Bass Trom!

21. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, I don't think the trombone parts are too taxing either! Unfortunately this was not "written to be a test piece". It was transcribed from the orchestral original. Unfortunately this means perc. don't get much. I'd complain to Liszt if I were you, but I think he's dead at present :wink:

22. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Of course. Do pardon my maths - it was late at night! It still smells to me of back scratching and pocket lining though.