Grand National Horse Race

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

So its the Grand National On Saturday:
    What Horse(s) are you going to place a bet on?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Grand National
    Cornish Rebel
    rewards
    Ross Road
  3. persins

persins Member

I'm probably not going to bother since every time I bet on a horse, it ends up as glue or pedigree chum!

I might do a sweepstake at work though!

4. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Not sure, I'll need to look the runners and riders over tomorrow night. However, I'll be backing whichever horse Carl Llewelleyn is riding (if he is).

5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

The one I backed last year must be close to the finishing line by now:)

6. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i dont even know any of the names... is there a list up anywhere yet?

7. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

They're on the bbc site here and there's a sweepstake kit too :clap:

8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Well after backing the winner Hedgehunter last yr to win and also backing Forest Gunner each way (i must have really been on form that day!), and winning a nice bit of money at the end of it i'm definately gonna be putting another few quid (Probably £40, £20 each on 2 separate horses to win) on the race.

I'm down to a choice of three or four. I also had a side bet on Clan Royal last yr who ran superbly until the loose horse brought him down at Canal Turn, so he's one of my possibilities. I've heard a lot of good things about Numbersixvalverde, so he'll be a definate i think. Hedgehunter is fav again but to win back to back is a rare thing so i may have to avoid him.

Innox is a lot of top experts tips so i might have a few quid on him (especially at 14-1, good odds).

Just hope i can come away with a few quid again.:p

9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Right, serious memory Jogging time, Am i right in remembering that the last time the south west regionals were held in bristol it was the same weekend as the grand national? possible 2001, and there was also a big Wales V England Rugby Game on.

I can remember standing in the middle of Bristol Student Union, Bacardi brezzer in hand, (so i may only have been 13 at the time!) screaming at the TV while watching the race. We had done a sweep stake on the coach on the way up and i won something, can't remember what!!

Nothing as exciting as Mr Lucky ^ up there. :(

10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I think it was 2001 cos I played with Pendennis that day, it was my last Area before I moved to Gibraltar and I remember doing some kind of sweepstake (although most of the day was blurry!)

11. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Just backed It Takes Time. Good name, good horse, 4th last year, an ideal e/w bet!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Grand National
    Cornish Rebel
    rewards
    Ross Road
  13. madsaz

madsaz Member

have done my annual girly bet, complete with dodgy reasoning, though I have refused to be influenced by the colour of the jerseys.

£5 on Clan Royal - cos he did ok last year basically.
    £5 on Numbersixvalverde - cos it's named after the owner's holiday home which seemed like a good idea (I'm holiday obsessed), and its pretty hard to spell.
    £5 on Ebony Light - because it's trained by the guy who trained Red Rum - he also trained Amberleigh House which was my last winning experience. And he's retiring this year so it seemed like a good idea.
    £5 on Le Roi Miguel - basically cos my bloke's called Michael but its also running for NSPCC. Sadly I think its about 111-1. so if I win I'd be very excited, chances are its more of a glue candidate.

That's the proper way to chose a horse - completely random, girl like decision making. Its virtually a lottery anyway - most of them will fall over.

14. Di

Di Active Member

Got myself Jack High in the sweepstake.

Hmm, looking gooood. :)

15. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I got Innox and Sir OJ in our sweep.

Chris I wouldn't bother putting any money on Innox now:redface:

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have gone for a E/W Bet on SIR OJ because at work we do a grill called
    PAPA OJ GRILLS:
    Gammon Steak, 2Pieces of Rump Steak and a Chicken Fillet

17. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Noted ;)

At this moment in time i'm gonna back Numbersixvalverde and Clan Royal. though chances are i'll wake up in the morning and have changed my mind. I'm still tempted by Innox though.

18. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Sorry guys!! horse racing is not very interesting to me :cool:

19. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I think either one of Innox or Clan Royal. I shaln't be putting any money on it because they'll both do abysmally if I do!!

20. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Oh yes, of course, it was bristol! and the CHAIRS incident!! :) :) :)

Theres a Horse called Cornish Rebel!! :) Thats got to be worth all my money!! :)

Does anyone else pick a horse purely on the basis of how interesting it's name is?!

21. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Come on the 'It Takes Time'! You know it makes sense.........

22. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

£10 e/w on Sir Oj - you know it makes sense.

Had a decent afternoon yesterday - 3 e/w bets with two winners and a place, all double-figure odds.

Hope my luck lasts today!