Gramercy Music 10th Anniversary Concert, Friday 7th May 2004

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Active Member

Gramercy Music are celebrating their 10th anniversary with a concert in Maxwell Hall, University of Salford on Friday 7th May 2004 at 7.30pm.

Featuring Black Dyke Band and the Band of HM Royal Marines Scotland the concert is in aid of The Salvation Army Watershed Project.
    Tickets are £10 each and orderding information is given on the concert website;

The Watershed Project is a Salvation Army campaign created to give water to those who desperately need it. Further information is available on this link;

If you're going to be in the North West for the Grand Shield event, why not go to the Gramercy concert too.
  2. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Are there any details of the programme at all?
    It seems to be going to a very good cause.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

They'll probably include something by Peter Graham :wink:
  4. Active Member

How about Water Music and incidental music from Watership Down?
    Seriously, I have no idea about programme content but will post details when they are known.
  5. Active Member

This concert will be broadcast LIVE on the internet at

The programme will include two new works; The Red Machine and Ablaze.
    Soloists will be Roger Webster in Slavishe Fantasy, Brett Baker in Brazilia and David Thornton will be joined by Steve Boyes from the Marines band in Bravura.
    Also featured will be a massed bands performance of
    Windows of the World.

Futher details and comment appear in British Bandsman, Saturday 20th March 2004.
  6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Thankyou very much for the info!
    I'm going to have to listen online, should be cool!
  7. Active Member

Had an email from Peter Graham this morning.
    There are still tickets available for the concert but for those that really can't be there, here is an updated link for the live webcast;
  8. jonford

jonford Member

oh dear..technical problems! :(
  9. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Was incredibly disappointed to find technical problems throughout the entire thing!!! :? :(
    Just thought tall of Black Dyke and the Band of HM Royal Marines Scotland,will be thinking "we're performing on the first ever live broadcast of a concert on the net" when actually no one can even get hold of it! :?
  10. Golden-Hynd

Golden-Hynd Member

Thats a bit of a shame! Should have gone out really. It was a really good concert (i was there). Both bands played really well in my opinion but Dyke sounded slightly tired at places!!!! :? Can't complain though

Roger (Slavishe Fantasie) played as expected, Brett Baker (Brasilia) was once again out of this world! :D and then David Thornton and Stephen Boyes (duet called Bravura) matched each other (just about) note for note!

Main pieces were very good. The Red Machine (new composition by Peter Graham) is growing on me (played it with Salford uni band and Colstream guards bout a month ago - so not really world premiere), Shine as the light (marines!!!) saw a good reading as did Breakout (from Lord of the dance/Cry of the celts)

Massed bands 2nd half but only did one piece, Windows on the World. In my opinion best piece Peter has wrote so far. Saw some very nice playing from Lesley Howie and some very good miming (so i thought) from the corps of drums!

Overall a very good concert. Shame it didn't go out live! U all missed some very interesting noises by a couple at the back of the hall who were obviously looking through their shopping bags!! :(

11. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Glad you enjoyed the gig! Im the 2nd Trombone player in the Marines band and am a Salford graduate too. It was a bit weird to go back and see Marianne still there as she was a student when I was!
    The Corps of Drums do something called "ghosting" which looks like they are miming but is actually part of the routine, with one drummer playing a solo part and the others adding to it as the routine builds up. What they played as we set up the stage is called a Drum Beating and was used as a way of communicating on the battlefield.
    It was great to do the joint items with Dyke as well as for me they are the most famous Brass Band in the world and the one as kid I always wanted to one day play for. (Never gonna happen tho!!!)
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I was rather gutted as I couldn't go due to having rehearsal with Leyland for the Grand Shield, but sounds like it was a real treat... :)
    Shame it didn't managed to get broadcasted out live... Surely this concert was recorded by someone though(?)
  13. Golden-Hynd

Golden-Hynd Member

Cool. Thanks for the info! Have always been a fan of the marines. did my work experience with the recording company that did the Mountbatten couple of years ago so that was good fun! If i hadn't have got into Salford i'd have probably gone for an audition week with the marines but hear they're quite hard!!! :)

Think Maz mite have recorded it on2 video but if not Adie's parents recorded bits of it (i think) so you mite be able to get it of him Naomi!

14. horn1

horn1 Member

So you are the 'Sharpy' I thought you were!!! I was supposed to be going but ended up working in my old pub instead :cry: shame to have missed such a good concert!
  15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Cheers mate! Will ask both :)
    See you soon
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

Following the hiccup of the live broadcast, it's good to see that at least some clips are avilable:

17. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers for the link Dyl :wink:
    Glad to finally hear some of the concert at last! :roll: :D