Graham Souness for Newcastle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nickjones, Sep 6, 2004.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Well well....who would have thought.....any toon fans think it's a good idea? do you think they would have gone for a continental manager if they were in the champions league? do you think it was right for freddy Shepard to " Shoot Bambi" and get rid of Sir Bobby?

2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Has this happened or is it gonna happen.....oh sweet get to mock all my toon mates

Toon for division 1 say Toon for division 1 :D:D

3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Ah Graeme Souness... a man with an impeccable record of taking decent teams and transforming them overnight into average teams...

Good luck Newcastle, you're going to need it!!

4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

G.S has resigned at Blackburn....
    just heard on the radio a load of toon fans no too pleased about the prospect of him taking over there....

5. ooooh I had my photo taken with him once.... he's lush! :roll:

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Why are Newcastle hell-bent on taking Liverpool's reject managers on? Keegan, Dalglish (ok - not a reject, but you get my drift.....) and now Souness. And to make it even more surreal there's talk of Houllier taking over at Blackburn! I suppose Souness fits in well with the likes of Dyer, Bowyer and Bellamy though! ;)

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Don't rate Souness as a manager at all. An Internet poll asked the question, 'Can Graeme Souness get Newcastle into the Champions' League?', I'd say there is a considerably better chance of Souness taking them to the Championship League....

I think I'm right in saying it's 35 years since Newcastle won a trophy. (1969 Fairs Cup?) Though not a Toon fan, I do like watching them (I've learned as I've got older, not to hate any football team. Life's just too short....) so it pains me to say that this latest appointment isn't going to check that 35 year drought!

8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Wayhey well said, give that man a prize :p :p

9. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Well after the Yorke and Cole incident that made the press, Kluivert, Robert and Bramble better watch out!

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And if my sources are correct, Blackburn play Newcastle this Saturday......

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    idea
    Shepard
    manager
    Sir
    Shoot Bambi
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

They do indeed, however Souness will not be in charge because of FA rules. He doesn't officially take up the Newcastle post until after that game. Speaking as a Celtic fan I'm quite pleased that Souness has moved somewhere, anywhere, since it probably means that Alec McCleish will stay in charge at Rangers. Bit of a shame for the toon supporters though as I don't rate Souness as a manager at all.

13. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

As a Rovers fan, I say bring on Clive Woodward!

14. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Only after he has passed his UEFA Class B badge.
    Shame he has left Rovers , still maybe Sven fancies a go at Blackburn (where he should have gone all those years ago)

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Interesting thought on Souness/Newcastle. What'll happen if Souness drops a fully fit Alan Shearer? Will he follow the same immediate route as Messrs. Gullit and Robson? ;-)

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

depends what he drops him on...

17. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

As a sunderland fan I am over the moon. The way Sunderland are playing we will never get promoted in a month come Sundays and I do miss the derby matches. However with Souness in charge there is every chance we can renew our rivalry in the glamorous coca cola championship next season. Laughed so much when I heard, there were tears rolling down my legs. Freddie Shepherd should go back to the brothel where he belongs and leave the running of the football club to someone that knows what he is doing. Him saying Toon women are all dogs and that geordies are all idiots for buying the kit was a major mistake but nothing compared to appointing Souness.

FTM - Sunderland till I die

18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

For once in my life I have to say that i agree with a mackem. Oh my good lord.

As a mag, I am distraught at this appointment. Something had to give at the club and perhaps sacking Bobby wasn't such a mistake, but sacking him the day before the transfer window closed and shortly after the sale of our only decent defender? Unbelievable. The board of NUFC don't know what they are doing. August was a month that resembled more of a soap opera than a football club, an absolute disgrace. As for Souness? A cheap and average appointment, something a club of er say Blackburn's position might do. Souness is unproven as a manager, yeah he won the scottish league but i could do that! Ok, he won the League Cup a few seasons back, something Newcastle haven't done for a lifetime but he also nearly got blackburn relegated last season. As for all this BS about him beieng a disciplinarian, it doesn't really work in today's game, all it does is alienate players.

Souness was a desperate appointment by a desperate chairman who thinks he knows more about football than anyone else on the planet, when in fact he is a muppet who couldn't tell a centre half from a centre forward. We have Souness now and we have to lump it. We won't get relegated but we won't win owt either, so nothing'll have really changed.

However, to all you gloating mackems.... nothing'll ever be as funny as your relegation season. I didn't think it possible that any premiership team could be that bad. And when you're not 17th in the "Championship" then perhaps you can laugh at us eh?

Haway the Lads, FTMackems,

geordiecolin

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Nothing against Newcastle FC, but wasn't it Freddy Shepherd who referred to all Newcastle women as dogs? Coming from a fat, bloated, balding, ugly zombie-magnet, that's a bit rich!

20. jpbray

jpbray Member

Like most the jury is still out :hammer

21. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I don't think there was anyone else , Bruce and O'Leary were too expensive and unavailable. there are no Continental managers looking for work .
    Should have waited till the end of the season to release Sir Bobby ( who has done wonders for the club ) , I rate Ruud Guillit but I don't think he realised what he had done , didn't he sign Marcelinio ( the invisible spanish defender ).
    I am not a newcastle fan , and I think they have a quality side , so I dont think they will be relegation candidates.
    you have to look at Graham Souness as a fairly good signing considering there was not much to choose from , he had a great first season at blackburn ( got into the UEFA cup ) and signed some good talent John Stead , Brett Emerton etc.
    Does anyone think Sir Bobby was sacked because of leaving His Majesty Shearer on the Bench? does he weild that much power at St James'???
    Worst thing to do is gloat, I think with everything you reap what you sow.
    Sir Bobby has left the club in good shape.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    idea
    Shepard
    manager
    Sir
    Shoot Bambi