Grade 8

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jarmen Kell, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Jarmen Kell

Jarmen Kell New Member

I'll be taking grade 8 at some time in the future, and was just wondering if you'd help me out on choosing some pieces. :p I'll be doing it through trinity board, and I've already chosen my group A and B pieces, (Handel's Hornpipe and Variations on a welsh theme.) which leaves group C... I can choose from:
    Arban: No. 9 of 14 Grand Studdies (p.201 from Cornet Method)
    J S Bach arr. Piper: Study no. 6 (from Well Tempered Player)
    Green: Lyrical study no. 8 (from Tenor Horn Eurythmics)
    Vizzutti: ADvanced Etude no. 5 (from Alan Vizzutti Trumpet Method book 3).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Can't help, I'm afraid. But you could help me. What is the Tenor Horn Eurythimics you mention? I could do with something new to practice from.

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Do you know any of these pieces already?
    Can you play them superbly?
    Which one do you prefer?

If we choose a piece for you, you can only be going by what we enjoy or play well. It is you that is taking the exam, buy the books, play the music, make your own decisions.

Personally, I wouldn't play the Bach or the Arban. I don't like the unaccompanied Bach on brass, I find it very difficult to produce a musical performance. I wouldn't choose the Arban just through over-exposure - done it too many times, have heard it too many times.

I know the Vizzutti and like it.
    I don't know the Green, but do know the euphonium book and have been very impressed by the exercises and etudes in there.

It is your choice - choose the one that you can play the best - it is an exam after all.

4. Jarmen Kell

Jarmen Kell New Member

I was just asking for advice because I've not heard or played any of them.

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

When I was choosing music for a performance diploma on Saxophone a few years back, (in which I still have yet to take the exam :lol: long story - too busy.. anyway.... ) I went through the sillybus knowing not any of the pieces.... I spent £100 on music, picking out pieces which would give a good variety, a couple from each lil list... a concerto, a sonata, random stuff...
    Do that, cos most come in books anyway which gives you more music (and good sightreading practise!!) and then decide.... dont do things blind... get hold of the stuff, play and choose stuff you like, can do a good job on and most importantly, enjoy!!

Good luck!

6. starperformer

starperformer Member

I have to disagree completely. This probably illustrates the merit to the point (already made) that you should choose for yourself after playing them.

Nowadays I play studies every single day from the Bach or the Arban or both. There is enough material in those two that I started years ago, never got bored, and don't expect to ever get bored. Some are easy enough to be a reasonable warm up, while some are beyond me. I can thoroughly recommend buying both, whether you end up playing either of those pieces or not. If you run out of sight reading there are 11 other keys to tranpose each into.

That particular Arban study (9) is my favourite of the 14, although it is one of the longer blows - how is your stamina after playing the other two chosen pieces? The Bach book is one of my favourite possessions, although no. 6 is far from being the best study in there (I chose it for my exam, but my biggest concern at the time was how long the lip would hold out).

I find the whole Bach book wonderfully musical for a set of studies, and it has been one of the reasons that got me back into playing regularly on more than one occasion. Look out for the F minor one - strangely (astonishingly) familiar if you've listened to the charts recently!

7. Di

Di Active Member

I'm sure Vic played the Arban study, but I would go along with the others and say try them all and play the one that shows off your best points.

8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Why Trinity?

9. Jarmen Kell

Jarmen Kell New Member

No scales or theory... Why not?

10. Di

Di Active Member

Oh there must be scales! Theres always scales. :eek:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    :P
    14 Grand Studdies
    Vizzutti
    ADvanced Etude
    Alan Vizzutti Trumpet Method
  12. Jarmen Kell

Jarmen Kell New Member

Have you seen the trinity syllabus? Scales are OPTIONAL. :D

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hate to tell ya... but Variations on a Welsh Theme is a Grade 7 piece...

14. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I find that hard to believe, but if you have the syllabus and it says so!!

From an exam point of view, scales are marks in the bag in my opinion!! Being able to play scales fluently is real a benefit when it comes to all round playing skills. I'm staggered that they are optional!!! What next!! Grade 8 for being able to spell the name of your instrument correctly and writing it in joined up writing!!!!

15. Jarmen Kell

Jarmen Kell New Member

Glad to be the one to tell you. But you're wrong.

16. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

The arban study is good! got a nice lil tune in the middle as well.. i think :confused: hehe!

And go for it with Welsh Theme.. I think everyone knows now.. I LOVE THAT PIECE!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

It's very true... I did grade 8 Trinity on Saxophone.... options are scales or an extra study... Had to work hard for the study though as it was an improvisation piece.... ;-)

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

19. Jarmen Kell

Jarmen Kell New Member

20. Di

Di Active Member

I reckon you're both right guys. It seems we have two syllabus' around here. It looks like there's an overlap owing to the merge of Trinity and Guildhall. It looks like they've kept their respective syllabus' until they go out of date. This appears to be the old Guildhall as they did have Welsh Theme as Grade 7, and this one looks to be the new Trinity one. As long as you pick one, put the right code on the paper and stick to that one, no problem. ;)

That what I reckon, but then I've been known to be wrong before. ;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  21. HBB

HBB Active Member

*holds hands up*

Sorry!!

*/unholds hands*

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    :P
    14 Grand Studdies
    Vizzutti
    ADvanced Etude