Grade 8 Cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Redhorn, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

OK I have a pupil who is ready to do Grade 8 Cornet, but I have little idea about the music on the lists. Can anyone recommend some of the pieces, or tell me more about the choices? He favours the more 'classical' type pieces, nothing too modern or avant garde.
    Im also assuming the Haydn goes up to silly range (def in the 3rd mvt), does this happen in the 1st Mvt too?
    Whats the Handel like?

All thoughts gratefully received! Heres the options:

List A:

Handel: Sonata no 3 Mvt 1 and 2, or Mvts 3 and 4
    Haydn: Trumpet Concerto Mvt 1 & 2, or Mvts 2 & 3
    Hindemith: Sonata for Trumpet mvt 1
    W. Lloyd Webber: Suite in F: Mvts 2,3, & 4.
    JKJ Neruda: Trumpet Concerton in Eb, Mvts 1 and 2 or 2 and 3
    Tchaikovsky: Ballet Suite

List B:

Busser: Andante and Scherzo
    Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man
    Robert Eaves: Rhapsody for Soprano Ct
    Petre Eben: Fantasia Vespertina
    Martinu: Sonatine for Trumpet
    Michael Short: Eccentrico and Cantilena, or Cantilena and Giga
    Denis Wright: Concerto for Cornet Mvt 1.

List C:
    Arban: 14 Studies No 2
    Bougeouis: Fantasy Piece No4
    Herbert Clarke: Studies for Cornet, No 9 or No 19
    John MillerL Mr Logic No30
    Ernest Piper: The well tempered player, No 6
    Allen Vizzutti: Polka, No 02

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I did the Haydn, Wright and an Arban Study, albeit a long time ago. My teacher wasn't into anything too modern - none of yer Martinu/Hindemith nonsense! :D

The Haydn goes up to a concert Db/written Eb above top C in the first movement; otherwise it's a few top Cs and easy enough. The last movement only goes up to a written C, some of the ornaments take a lot of work to sound "elegant" rather than rushed. I don't know the Handel, I'm afraid, but my personal feeling is that is hard to make Handel trumpet parts sound good on a cornet -they're just not bright enough, unless you've got one of those American long ones.

The Denis Wright 1st Mvt is great for those doing cornet rather than trumpet, because it's very idiomatic to the cornet, although you'll need good breath control to really do it justice. Doesn't go above a C from what I remember.

Sorry I can't be much help with the other stuff; however if your pupil has a strong preference for melodious, traditional pieces you can't go far wrong with the above. Personally I'd really fancy a crack at the Hindemith, never played it (yet)!

3. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I actually quite like the options for the ABRSM grade 8 cornet.
    My personal choices would be:
    Haydn, mvt 2+3, movement 1 does go higher than the 3rd, it goes up to a high Eb whereas the 3rd mvt only goes upto top C.
    Denis Wright Concerto, I really enjoyed playing this. If I remember rightly I played the 2nd and 3rd movements for my grade 8. I think I'm right in saying mvt 1 goes upto top Bb. This in my opinion is the best option for the B list, it isn't too 'way out' or 'modern'.
    If your pupil favours the classical style, I would opt for the Ernest Piper study. These are based on Bach's 'Well-Tempered Clavier' and usually provide a good solid challenge.
    Hope this helps.
    Fee

4. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

I did the Haydn movements 2&3, the Busser: Andante and Scherzo which is nice for cornet, although the scherzo section contains some double tounging but it doesnt go above a top C. The Arban Study is ok.....quite repetitive which makes it easier than it looks i think!

The Hindemith and Neruda from List A are also nice but I personally think that the Haydn is more suitable for cornet. The Copland is ok but more suited to the trumpet I think. The Denis Wright is really nice, although technically demanding for breathing- but hey this is Grade 8!

Good Luck to your student!!

5. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

I did:

Petre Eben: Fantasia Vespertina

John Miller Mr Logic No30 (I think..... :confused: - it was a while back now)

The Hayden was very good, you can really make it sound classy as its stylistic anyway. I think I did the John Miller one, but dont hold me to that. As for the Eben, you cant get more extream I dont think. It starts as a solo, then its just random playing all the way through to the end where you finish on your own again. The piano part is erratic and basically anything can be played and its fits!!! Your pupil might not like that one........ :rolleyes:

6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I did the W Lloyd Webber suite in F, the 3rd movement is really lovely. The 2nd and 4th movements aren't too difficult either, they're both really tuneful and good fun to play. There's nothing ridiculously quick. There are a few top c's in there but it isn't bad for stamina on the whole.

Then i did the Denis Wright cornet concerto 1st mvt, and the Arban study.

Think i passed about 4/5 yrs ago now.

I found the above pieces gave a good mix, from the classic of the cornet repertoire (Denis Wright) to the Lloyd Webber which was quite 'fun' to play.

7. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

As your pupil is playing a cornet then I would go for the more cornet based pieces as they will sound right that way (I never like trumpet pieces on cornet). So I would choose the Tchaikovsky from List A (Tchaikovsky used the cornet a lot for some lovely melodic solos in his ballets), the Denis Wright from List B and the either the Arban or Clarke studies from List C.

8. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

i would agree, im doing the dennis wright and the ballet suite, one of my mates played the ballet suite on trumpet, but i think its nicer on cornet! Im now lookin into the bougeouis, or the arban, im still decidin!

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I would agree with this - it works beautifully on the cornet.

I would also strongly recommend taking a look at the Vizzutti Polka (from 20 Dances) - a lovely little piece that most students really enjoy getting into. The bonus is that you get a CD of Vizzutti performing it (along with the rest of the album), hearing a great player such as that is always worth it.

10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Don't for get Scales are marks in the bag.... and they are not just for Exams, they are for life ;)

When I did my Gd8 (on Trumpet) all those years ago, I did Haydn 1&2 and Bernstein Red Whit and Blues. Study was Arban No 9 I think..

I've played the following from the list since.

List A:

Hindemith: Sonata for Trumpet mvt 1
    JKJ Neruda: Trumpet Concerton in Eb, Mvts 1 and 2 or 2 and 3

List B:

Busser: Andante and Scherzo
    Robert Eaves: Rhapsody for Soprano Ct

List C:
    Arban: 14 Studies No 2

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Grade 8
    B)List A
  12. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

You should try it on a flugel ...

13. Jimmy_2121

Jimmy_2121 Member

I have played most of the pieces on the lists at some point or other:
    The Handel is fairly typical Baroque stuff not very lyrical and as has been previously mentioned may not suit the cornet.
    The Haydn concerto was written for Eb trumpet and this explains the top Eb (concert Db) in the first movement. I personally think the first movement is less technically demanding than the third there is more space and time to play. The second movement is lyrical and I think sounds beautiful on cornet.
    The Neruda concerto has its moments I would say perhaps less challenging than the Haydn but a number of corners to conquer.
    The Hindemith although maybe not to the taste of everyone is a great showpiece and because is more modern suits the modern instrumental sound better. To pull it off needs an excellent pianist.
    The Tchaik Ballet Suite would be the most obvious choice for cornet, the work shows off the best sides of the instrument.

In list B,
    I've played the Busser, didn't enjoy it much at the time, but I suppose looking back isn't all bad!
    Fanfare for Common Man is fun but needs good puff and there are plenty of opportunities for splits!!! (At least when I last played it there were!!!!)
    The Martinu Sonata I believe is a quite underrated a good fun piece to play especially if you like the Czech and Eastern European music idiom.
    The Wright concerto is important repertoire for cornet I'd recomment playing this regardless of whether for an exam or not.

List C or studies
    For me, any of the first three on the list!!!!
    Arban nuff said
    but I would recommend the fantasy pieces I still find them challenging and enjoyable.

Maybe worth sending them away to listen to some or having a go at a selection and then make a decision.

Hope that helps

14. robcornet

robcornet Member

hasn't done you any harm Chris, I would listen to this guy as he is a top cornet player, wish I was half as good!!! :biggrin:

15. trumpetmike

Close - it was written for a keyed trumpet in Eb, that bears very little relation to the modern trumpet (the sound is possibly closer to the modern flugel, in the hands of someone who truly knows what they are doing with it).

16. 24aw

24aw Member

Not a awful lot on there that would prepare a talented grade 8 cornetist for a life of banding is there? Some fantastic trumpet rep but wouldn't a cornet be more suited to some air varies some slow melodies and some extreme technical passages!

17. trumpetmike

This is very true, but would involve the Associated Board having some comprehension of the repertoire for that instrument - when they do that they might finally enter the 19th century. One of the many problems I have with the Associated Board is that the repertoire is just terrible - whoever chooses this needs to experience life outside their classical orchestral biased world.

For a slightly more interesting look to the repertoire, you might consider taking a look at the new Trinity Guildhall exam lists - the Grade 8 list includes Napoli (Bellstedt), Zelda (Code), Whirlwind (Graham), Concorde (Newsome) and Philip Sparke's Song & Dance - some true cornet pieces:clap:

18. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Well said, that man. I've tried explaining something similar to the Associated Board, who wrote to tell me that a flugel is exactly the same as a trumpet ... Where have I been going wrong?

19. trumpetmike

To be listened to by the Ass. Bd. you need to be too old to understand students, preferably with a beard and believe that nothing should really change from when the British Empire ruled the world.

20. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

How true. It's a shame more teachers don't subscribe to the Trinity syllabus - it's much more "real world" and user friendly. I did Grade 3 AB piano last year, and all the candidates before me (none of whom was older than about seven and a half) came out in tears. That can't be what it's all about, can it?

21. When it was your turn, did you figure out why?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Grade 8
    B)List A