Grade 8 - Choice of music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bardsandwarriors, Oct 4, 2006.

1. For Grade 8 I have to choose one piece of music from each of 3 lists, but I don't even know what most of them sound like. I can't afford to buy them all, and most of them aren't on the internet.

How can I decide which ones to get?

Can I buy a book with all of the pieces together?
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Which examining board are you using?
  3. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

unfortunately, unless you play piano or drums you can't actually get a book with all of the pieces in (especially at G8 as most of them are single items).

Ask your teacher to help you with selecting the right pieces as you need to present a balanced "programme" ideally.

4. glitzy

glitzy Member

Are you entering yourself or do you have an instrumental teacher?. If its the latter then I suggest you speak to them, as the chances there they will have coached others through it or have sat it themselves. I could mention pieces I would choose, but you would not necessarily like them!!

Good Luck x
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

To add to this fantastic advice, if you don't have a teacher - GET ONE.

If you don't know the music, do your research. If you want to find out about a piece, get a recording (sorry, you might actually have to pay for one of those) or buy the music and get to know it yourself.
    If you let us know which board you are looking at (or which pieces are the options) then we can give our opinions, but they will just be that, our opinions on the music - what you feel about them may be very different.
  6. I am entering under my own steam, in principle. I can't afford a teacher, except perhaps for one or two lessons close to the exam, to get some last-minute tips.

I have been looking at the ABRSM and Trinity Guildhall, but I haven't decided yet. It would depend on the pieces, I guess (doh!).

The main problem is severely limited finances.

How about if I post the lists here, and you guys give me advice?
  7. glitzy

glitzy Member

The main problem is severely limited finances.

How about if I post the lists here, and you guys give me advice?[/quote]

Do you know of anyone who has sat this exam before? Maybe borrow the music. I certainly can't give advice on pieces but I'm sure we would be able to comment on the style, as you will need to present a contrasting programme. Im pretty sure in Grade 8 ABRSM, on the 2nd list there will be a choice of studies from Arban...So that should be of some help? I don't know of many brass players that don't have an Arban!....for some reason I have 2?!

Just out of you have Grade 5 theory or PM? I think you have to have it to sit above GR5 in ABRSM.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  8. Yes, I have G5 theory + practical. The (20 year old) certificate is around somewhere.

Do you want to part with one of your Arbans for a low price? :) :) :)

I'll ask at my bands, for someone who might have the music - that's a good idea.

I'm best at expressing the musicality of pieces - especially bouncy, jazzy stuff, folk music, and soulful melodies; moods and emotions all come easily, and I can change my tone at will, to suit almost anything. But I run out of breath on long passages. Double tonguing and fast punchy tunes come out fairly well, but technically I'm no virtuoso and I find the faster marches difficult. My rangy slurring is pretty awful aswell! My natural range is low A to high A (2 octaves), and although I can force out a top C if I really have to :eek:, I would rather avoid it. Here are the lists -

Firstly, the ABRSM (3 lists, choose one from each) -

LIST A
    1. Handel Sonata no.3 (Op.1 no.12): 1st and 2nd movts or 3rd and 4th movts, Adagio and Allegro or Largo and Allegro
      (International 2493 - Kalmus/M.D.S.)
    2. Haydn Trumpet Concerto in E flat, Hob.VIIe/1: 1st and 2nd movts or 2nd and 3rd movts, Allegro and Andante or Andante and Allegro
      (B flat/E flat edition: Universal HMP 223/M.D.S.)
    3. Hindemith Sonata for Trumpet: 1st movt, Mit Kraft
      (Schott 3643/M.D.S.)
    4. W. Lloyd Webber Suite in F: 2nd, 3rd and 4th movts, Allegro vigoroso, Larghetto e mesto and Allegro vivace
      (Stainer & Bell)
    5. J.K.J. Neruda Trumpet Concerto in E flat: 1st and 2nd movts or 2nd and 3rd movts, Allegro and Largo (with cadenzas) or Largo and Vivace (with cadenzas)
      (B flat/E flat edition: Brass Wind)
    6. Tchaikovsky Ballet Suite (from 'The Nutcracker', Op.71).
      Russian Roulette for Trumpet, arr. Archibald (Brass Wind)
    LIST B
    1. Büsser Andante et Scherzo, Op.44
      (B flat/C edition: Leduc/U.M.P.)
    2. Copland Fanfare for the Common Man.
      Copland 2000 for Trumpet (Boosey & Hawkes: piano accomp. published separately)
    3. Robert Eaves Rhapsody for E flat Soprano Cornet
      (Brand Publications/Smith)
    4. Petr Eben Fantasia Verspertina
      (Schott TR3/M.D.S.)
    5. Martinu Sonatine for Trumpet
    6. Michael Short Eccentrico and Cantilena or Cantilena and Giga: nos.3 and 4 or nos.4 and 5 from '5 Inventions for solo Trumpet'
      (Studio Music)
    7. Denis Wright Concerto for B flat Cornet: 1st movt, Allegro (with cadenza)
      (Studio Music)
    LIST C
    1. Arban 14 Studies for Cornet: no.2 in E
      (Boosey & Hawkes)
    2. Derek Bourgeois Fantasy Pieces for solo Trumpet: no.4, Slow waltz or no.5, Allegro vivace
      (Brass Wind)
    3. Herbert Clarke Characteristic Studies for the Cornet: no.9 in E or no.19 in A
      (Carl Fischer/Boosey & Hawkes or
      Carl Fischer CFO 2281 - Schott/M.D.S.)
    4. John Miller Mr Logic: no.30 from 'Progressive Studies for Trumpet'
    5. Ernest Piper The Well-Tempered Player: no.6 in D minor
      (Sounding Brass/Rosehill Music)
    6. Allen Vizzutti Polka: no.20 from '20 Dances for Trumpet'
      (De Haske/Fentone)
    And Trinity Guildhall (3 lists, one from each) -

Group A

1. Albinoni Concerto in G minor, 2nd movt: Allegro and 4th movt: Allegro EMR 626
    2. Bellstedt Napoli (from Shepherd’s Song) Winwood
    3. Code Zelda Boosey
    4. Donato Prelude and Allegro [complete] Leduc
    5. Goedicke Konzert-Etude op. 49 EMR 6032
    6. Hummel Trumpet Concerto, 1st movt: Allegro con spirito Boosey
    7. Neruda Concerto for Trumpet & Strings, 1st movt [with cadenza] Musica Rara
    8. Tchaikovsky Ballet Suite (from Russian Roulette) Brass Wind 3110
    9. Wright Concerto for Bb Cornet, 1st movt Chappell

Group B
    1. Abreu Tico Tico for Trumpet & Piano Brass Wind 4110
    2. Baker Satchmo Music for Brass
    3. Barat Fantasie in Eb for Cornet/Trumpet & Piano Leduc AL 21923
    4. Bernstein Red, White and Blues (from Contemporary Music for Trumpet) Boosey
    5. Bourgeois Sonata for Trumpet & Piano op. 193, 3rd movt: Allegro vivace Brass Wind 3117
    6. Busser Andante and Scherzo [complete] Leduc AL 21327
    7. Copland Quiet City (from Contemporary Music for Trumpet) Boosey
    8. Copland Fanfare for the Common Man (from Copland 2000 for Trumpet) Boosey
    9. Golland Ballade op. 72, no. 1 Studio
    10. Graham Whirlwind (from Gramercy Solo Album Bb) Gramercy Music
    11. Hindemith Sonata for Trumpet & Piano, 1st movt: mit Kraft Schott ED 3643
    12. Newsome Concorde Studio
    13. Peeters Sonata for Trumpet & Piano op. 51, 1st movt: Allegro or 3rd movt: Toccata Peters EP 6240
    14. Sparke Concerto for Trumpet (or Cornet) & Brass Band, 3rd movt: Allegro con brio Studio
    15. Sparke Song and Dance Studio

Group C (unaccompanied)
    1. Arban Study no. 6 or Study no. 9 (from 14 Studies for Cornet) Boosey
    2. J S Bach Study no. 6 in D minor or Study no. 7 in Eb (from The Well Tempered Player) Winwood RMPC 0015
    3. Balay Study no. 7 or Study no. 11 (from Quinze Etudes) Leduc AL 14 960
    4. Bourgeois Fantasy Pieces for Trumpet, no. 8: Allegro Brass Wind 3102
    5. Brandt Study no. 4 or Study no. 15 (34 Studies for Trumpet) IMC 1391
    6. Miller Perpetuum Mobile, no. 67 (from 68 Graded Studies for Brass book 2**) Faber
    7. Vizzutti Polka (from 20 Dances for Trumpet) de Haske 991786
    8. Vizzutti Study no. 5 of Advanced Etudes, p. 64 or Study no. 7 of Advanced Etudes, p. 66 (from The Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method book 3) Alfred

** Formerly Progressive Studies for Brass. Candidates may use either edition.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  9. glitzy

glitzy Member

Wow I never realised how much choice there is on Trinity! For what my personal opinion is worth...not much I imagine!!...Hummel, Neruda , Haydn concertos..all great on the ear...traditional!. I've never heard the Bourgeois or Bernstien...but I bet they would be interesting and certainly a contrast from the first three! As for the technical list, I don't think you can ever go wrong with Vizzutti...if you have ever used his technical study books you will see!

As for the Arban....I think I would have to pay about £50 postage!
  10. The cheapest on ebay is £12.50 + £5 postage. If you want to lighten your posessions and gain some cash, send me a private message. I think this could be its natural destiny...!

Thanks for the ideas on the music. More advice welcome, from anyone who cares to give it :)
  11. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I've played the following at various times..

# Haydn Trumpet Concerto in E flat, Hob.VIIe/1: 1st and 2nd movts or 2nd and 3rd movts, Allegro and Andante or Andante and Allegro
    (B flat/E flat edition: Universal HMP 223/M.D.S.)

Come on, you must at least be "aware" of the Haydn. Works well with piano. For my Gd8 all those years ago I did movement's 1 and 2

# Hindemith Sonata for Trumpet: 1st movt, Mit Kraft
    (Schott 3643/M.D.S.)

This is considered a "benchmark" Sonata for Trumpet. Requires considerable stamina, very tricky piano part which would require a very competant pianist and lots of rehearsals.

# J.K.J. Neruda Trumpet Concerto in E flat: 1st and 2nd movts or 2nd and 3rd movts, Allegro and Largo (with cadenzas) or Largo and Vivace (with cadenzas)
    (B flat/E flat edition: Brass Wind)

Less well known than the Haydn, but a fine concerto.

# Büsser Andante et Scherzo, Op.44

This is quite an effective piece. Not too difficult (if you don't take it too quick!!!) The Andante is a slow 3/4 time, with the Scherzo being in 7/4.

# Copland Fanfare for the Common Man.
    Copland 2000 for Trumpet (Boosey & Hawkes: piano accomp. published separately)

I don't know this arrangement, but have played the brass ensemble many times. I would guess it is OK, depending on the key!

Robert Eaves Rhapsody for E flat Soprano Cornet
    (Brand Publications/Smith)

I've done this on Sop, I'm not sure you can mix and match instrument during the exam.

If I was doing this exam, I'd probably go for the Neruda and the Busser, with the Arban Study No 2 thrown in !!

I would recommend getting a lesson well before the exam, to get some pointers as to style etc. Then work on the pieces, having top up lessons just prior to the exam as you mention. The earlier you start to work with your pianist the better. For Gd8 you need to be able to demonstate a good command of your instrument, good knowledge of the styles required for your chosen repertoire, and be in control of the ensmble (i.e. in charge of the pianist etc..)

Just my tuppence!! :)

Good Luck,

12. Maybe I should get a free, introductory hour with a local tutor? They could have a good listen and tell me what to go for.

PS. One of my ideal pieces would be mainly in the lower range (low A to high E), with a range of dynamics and full of trills and beautiful soaring bits. Something like Mozart's Horn Concerto would be really cool.
  13. hanhorn

hanhorn New Member

I've played the Ernest Piper The Well-Tempered Player: no.6 in D minor for my grade 8 tenor horn. Once you get the fingerings sorted you can play it at a reasonable speed and it sounds very impressive. I managed to just get a photocopy of it and hid it inside my other music becaus examiners are very picky about having the original music. However, it might be an idea to get the book anyway because it does have some useful study pieces to help you improve.
    I have also played the Robert Eaves Rhapsody for E flat Soprano Cornet, but not for an exam. This is a lot more tuneful, but there is some quite tricky lip slurs and double tonguing.
    Hope this helps
  14. trumpetmike

Why would they do it for free?
    Why would you expect them to??
    PAY THEM for their time.

Out of interest - lower range (low A to high E) - what are you meaning by "high E?" To me, that means the one that it is an octave above the stave, not what would normally be referred to as a lower ranger.

Check out your local libraries - many of them have got some sheet music, you might strike lucky and find that they have some of the relevant books, I have seen the Arban in a couple.

Talk to other students who might have done the exam recently - some of them might be kind enough to lend you some of the music.

Of the pieces on the list, I would personally avoid the Hindemith, Martinu and Eben - all great pieces but can be very difficult to pull off in stress situations, however good you are.

I had a student a few years ago who was in a similar financial position (by the sounds of it) - she was working whenever she could in order to pay for the lessons. Because I knew that she was not the most well off student, I let her borrow my music for her exams. I also would "forget" to ask her for payment at the end of lessons, sometimes. I knew that she was working ****** hard in order to pay for lessons, so I was willing to help her out.
    She didn't expect freebies.
    She was prepared to pay, it was me making the decision that she didn't always have to.

If you find a decent tutor who is willing to teach for nothing, even for one trial lesson, you are VERY lucky. You wouldn't expect many professions to do their job for nothing, why do you think it is ok to expect that from a musician?
  15. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

I would say for me that range was the biggest consideration for grade 8 (on tenor horn at the time). Fortunately I was able manage on that instrument, but on cornet - no chance. Grade 8 pieces are necessarily professional standard for stamina and range, and this should be a serious consideration. Can you get through 3 of them? Try to pick lower ones if poss is my advice.
  16. Trumpetmike - thank you for your advice; it is all very useful. But I notice you've given it for free! How do you square that with your views? ;)

Even lawyers often give free introductory hours; and many of the music teachers I've known do. I chatted last night to a guy who used to teach music, and he is lending me his Arban. He also suggested a few people who might lend me some grade 8 pieces. In my world, because I am the first to be generous with my time, and the last to ask for money for anything, kindness isn't so rare as to be worthy of medals.
  17. trumpetmike

Because I can give that advice at midnight, without having to leave the comfort of home, nor hear anyone play;)

Saying that, if you feel like paying for the advice I will happily let you know my address:biggrin:

I think my problem was the expectation that someone should work for free. Purely personally I would explain the situation, offer to pay, then see if the tutor is of a generous nature.
  18. I will pass on that, trumpetmike. You will receive nothing in the post except for my psychic gift of good vibrations! However, if you need an extension designing for a low price, or help with your puter, or any worldly advice such as I can offer from the comfort of my chair at midnight, I am all ears :D
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember that the Haydn 1st Movement has an Eb above top C and the Denis Wright last movement finishes on a top D (although there might be an "ossia" Bb?) - if you struggle above A you may want to bear that in mind. That said if you struggle above A I expect many of the pieces on the lists will be tricky. The Sparke Song and Dance is ace, especially if you've a good low register, although that finishes on a top C.
  20. Thanks everyone. It looks as if I'll get my hands on a few of the pieces; and this is a good primer for the others. I was kind of hoping someone would say, "ah yes, I know your type of playing style - and you need to choose <this one>!". But I'll check out the library anyway - maybe an inter-library loan will help.