Government Wants to Limit Standby Power Consumption

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jul 17, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

The UK is expected to have more TVs than people to watch them by 2020

The British government plans to "limit standby power consumption" by electronic devices. According to an Energy Review conducted last Tuesday, around eight percent of electricity is used by devices on standby. Because electronic gadgets in sleep mode do not necessarily conserve as much energy as consumers are led to believe, lawmakers trying to outlaw or limit TV standby buttons may succeed. Businesses will also have to try and limit the energy that products like computers and printers use while on standby.

Computers, televisions, washing machines, chargers and lighting were among the household items that were listed as wasteful products that need to be reformed. The UK wants to help support the International Energy Agency One-watt Plan, which aims to have nations reduce standby power to no more than one watt per gadget. Research by the Energy Saving Trust shows that the average British household has up to 12 gadgets that are on standby at any given time.

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Perhaps street lighting should be on a timer that turns every other one off from around midnight?

Wouldn't matter where I live, we don't have street lights.
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I read somewhere last week that one council was going to experiment with turning the streetlights off in the small hours. I seem to remember when I was growing up that the streetlights were switched off at midnight anyway - I don't remember when they started being on all night....
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

Maybe they should have a word with $ky, then, seeing as the only way you can turn a $ky box off is to unplug it. And if you do aren't you technically in breach of your contract (leave connected to phone line, etc)?
    Freeview's no better, ours has no off-switch either.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Can't see that Andy - what if you don't have a phone? Mine is never connected to the phone line.
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

According to their contract, John, you have to have a phone to subscribe to the service. Their principal argument (for always being connected) of "always being sure of having the most recent update and thus the best service available" is a bit naff, though, especially as I've yet to have a single day of unbroken signal since I had Sky+ installed. :mad:

I wonder what a digibox equivalent of AdAware would find on/in the Sky boxes in so many homes........:rolleyes:
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not strictly true I don't think. I'm pretty sure the only benefits of being connected are to get a discount for signing up to sky - and even then you only have to be connected for 12 months - after that you're free to disconnect the phone line from your digibox - all you are losing is the ability to 'enjoy' some of the interactive elements of the service that cost you extra money anyway!
  8. Bungle

Bungle Member

So we are all going to save electricity, so our neighbours can light up their houses like Blackpool illuminations every Christmas. Can't see the government banning outdoor Christmas lights, but I'm sure the councils will stop putting up lights to show their green credentials ;)
  9. NeilW

NeilW Member

Standby of the various bits an pieces around the house is one of the attractions of buying a windmill power generation system, which would more than cover them....

10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

As long as the wind is blowing :biggrin:
  11. NeilW

NeilW Member

750' up on the edge of the Chilterns the wind does plenty of blowing!

Mind you, today maybe solar tiles would work better (though they're still extrememly expensive, so are out of the question...)