gothic dances

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andybass, Jul 14, 2006.

1. andybass

andybass Member

as a member of a second section band playing at harrogate does anybody else think gothic dances is not enough of a challenge.we worked hard on images and think we second section bands have been let down.a good piece for concerts yes but a challenge for would be first section bands.no.

2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I suppose a piece is what you make it...
    Of course we will all play the notes but the winning band will provide that bit extra. A good band can make a bad piece sound good... however, I think this is a very good piece.

Images was a good test for sure but I would suggest that most bands were just getting the basics right on the day of the contest. When really the notes should hav been well cemented a long time before to allow the band to show real style and musicality.

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Were you at the finals last year? Its quite an interesting contrast - Belmont Variations was widely deemed to be too difficult for the section - and anyone who was in the hall when Phillip McCann made his summing up of the section will have no doubt of what he thought of the playing standard! :) Personally I thought Belmont was about right - after all, the bands at the finals should be going up to the next section, or challenging to do so.

I've not heard Gothic Dances, but I was talking to Simone who played for us last year, and is going up with another band this year. Their opinion was that it is much easier. So maybe Gothic Dances was picked as an easier piece with some of that criticism in mind.

Whatever, what I have heard from several people, both on tMP and from chatting face to face is that its a really good piece. So I'd say just go, do your best and enjoy it! :D