Got a serious question about houses....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by six pints, Dec 4, 2004.

1. six pints

six pints Active Member

This is basically for anyone thats ever sold a house- from the day you get it valued, how long does it take to go on the market, or worse still, be sold? I dont know any other grown ups i can ask without it getting back to my parents, and i dont want them to know how stupid we've been yet.
  2. impycornet

impycornet Member

It could be on the market within days - may even be on the internet already.
    But you should get a copy of the property details form to approve before it can be given out to any prospective purchasers.

As far as "how long before it's sold" then that is basically up to you. Even if someone makes you an offer you don't have to accept. You can also, I believe, back out altogether and take the property off the market - I don't think you get charged for this as most estate agents are now on a 'no sale no fee' basis.

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

In todays market, and with the prospect of lower interest rates to come, if the property is priced sensibly then selling it should not be a problem.
  4. six pints

six pints Active Member

thanks for your replies! i dont want the house to be sold because im renting it and dont want to be homeless. im trying to tell myself it will all be fine. hmm.
  5. BoBo

BoBo Member

A house can be "sold" in days but it takes at least 6 weeks to get all the legal stuff done, usually nearer 12 so you should get plenty of notice of when you have to move out. Best of luck :)
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

If you are renting it you should have a contract in place that gives you at least some protection. I am certain landlords cannot simply boot you out if you have looked after the place. They have to give you adequate notice.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon...:)
  7. six pints

six pints Active Member

thanks guys! our main problem at the minute is that she hasnt been cashing our rent cheques, so were afraid t=shes going to take us to court and say we havent been sending her them, and we cant afford a court battle. dhes coming roung on monday, so we have our college president as a witness, and were setting up survallence in the living room in case she says anything we can uce as evidence. Its actaull;y made me lose all faith in human kindness, which was low after beeing beatben up by charvs anyway. so mush for the careferee student life eh!
    aw i need cheering up now

(that took my ages to wriet, vos im only using one finger due to extrerme drunkness)
  8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I would be extremely careful about that - it is illegal to record somebody without their knowledge. I would suggest that you tell her you are recording the conversation.

Good luck and I hope you get to stay in your house.

9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I'm afraid the owner only has to give you 2 months notice, and that must be in writing and must state that they are giving you 2 months notice from a certain date in writing.

The reason I know this, is because it happened to me a few years ago, and I didn't have a leg to stand on.
  10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Can't they just buy one of those yellow signs that says CCTV in operation or whatever?
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Sounds like 6 pints is worried, that the owner will claim that he/she gave them notice in writing sometime ago and it will be for the courts to settle instead of common sense :S
  12. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I had loads of problems with a landlord when I was at Uni so I totally understand! Our landlord after a load of other problems (caused by the fact he had some mad idea that privacy laws didn't apply to his tennants and that he could come and please as he liked, no warning, not even knocking! :shock:) decided he was gonna kick us out at midnight one night. Although he couldn't legally do it that wasn't gonna stop him. To be honest he had no idea about the law and just thought he was right! It wasn't a nice experience. Sometimes I think landlords just take advantage of the fact they think students won't know their rights. Luckily for us we were pretty clued up. We did still end up moving, after the notice period obviously and after that he tried getting every penny out of us, even though the house was in perfect nick. The university housing services are normally very helpful.
  13. Libby

Libby Member

Sorry to hear you're having such problems, it might be a good idea to go and consult a solicitor, lots of them do a one consultation free thing or Citizens Advice (as they are totally free), when you go, take along anything you have such as cheque book stubs to prove the fact that you've been paying your rent. At least they would be able to tell you exactly where you stand and what your rights are, don't be fobbed off because you are student!

Wishing your lots of luck :D
  14. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Are you sure about that Kirsty? I thought it was only illegal if a third party recorded something and didn't tell either of the other 2 parties involved...
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wouldn't trust sending or giving anybody a cheque! If possible, try to set up a BACS funds transfer from your account to theirs and allow 4 bank working days to be processed into their account (if they have a different bank). That way, the money can be monitored and traced.
  16. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

...or a standing order would do too.
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

;) .... 'tis the same thing!
  18. six pints

six pints Active Member

aww thanks guys!! we went to see citiziens advice yesterday, and they confirmed that we can be chucked out, but we have to have two months notice. also they just didnt speak to us when they came over on monday and hefr husband was really rude (for a change...)
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... hopefully you'll get another place soon without the hassle you've had!