Google Earth

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by imthemaddude, Jan 14, 2006.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Has anyone else discovered this? It's so good I can tell which house is mine and even see my mom and dad's cars parked on the drive :biggrin: . It's amazing!!!

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You're right - it is amazing!!!!!!! I was told about this at work and spent the next *cough* minute or loads exploring.

Give it a go - it's free. Go HERE and have a look. You will be amazed at what you can do and see.

It'll keep you occupied for hours.

3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

its pants for me :( its all blobby and green! Obviously don't have very good satalittes or whatever here! And by the looks of it its reeeeeeally up to date! so up to date it doesn't have my house on! and my house is nearly 4 years old now!

4. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hmmmmmm :dunno:dunno:dunno

If you downloaded the version from the link I gave it was last updated in November 2005. You need to have Windows 2000/XP.

Pity it doesn't work for you.

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think part of it depends on when the last satellite photo was taken, which varies from location to location. (not so much when the software was updated)

PJH

6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Yep - Actually I think that is exactly it.

I've been looking closer at this. You can see my house very clearly but it shows a big fir tree right outside at the front which we had cut down nearly three years ago. :confused::confused::confused:

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Having seen this thread this morning I wanted to check out something on Google Earth - which I have had on my PC for a while now. However, when I clicked on GoogleEarth I received the following pop up window message...

[​IMG]

... has anyone experienced similar pop up windows and does anyone know if this is credible. I am not clicking on the link until I find out what the heck it is...

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I think that's genuine as they upgraded the site recently. If you don't trust it, delete your version and download the new one, thus circumventing the pop up.

As for detail, some under populated areas don't have much detail. Where I live no houses are visible, but where I used to live near London, the detail is amazing.

9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Not sure population has anything to do with it - Romford is all blurred whilst Chadwell Heath (couple of miles away; same or lower population density) is high detail - there's a very clear dividing line between the two. I would guess it's just a matter of when they can manage to get pictures of everywhere on the planet with a clear view with the satellite.

It is pretty awesome though - and practical in some ways too - I had to go to an MOT garage yesterday on a road I had never been on. Multimap highlighted a vague section of road that the garage was on from the postcode, but GE allowed me to actually work out which building the garage was !

10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes, now I think about it you are quite right. Grand Canyon great detail, no people.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    mine
    Google Earth
    house
    dad
  12. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

It's great, although from a teaching point of view, multimap aerial photo can be quite useful too as you can superimpose the road map on top of the photo - so you can be extra sure you're in the correct place!

13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

They pick up data from various satellite sources e.g. geosat, military sats, weather sats. They have to pay for the photos so it depends how much the owners want for the photograph. The military sources are the best but obviously they don't sell them the most sensitive data although there are some non-descript area 51 photos on there if you care to look. It's just a mass of runways and some buildings - no aircraft.

14. flower girl

flower girl Member

yeah its awsome. my boyfs mum showed it to me

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ahh, but maybe there are, maybe the Klingon cloaking device is working! Or, there is just a great big picture of some desert, being held up on poles, with all the aircraft and things alien, carrying on underneath!! :eek:

Now, where did I put my tinfoil hat? :cool:

16. MickM

MickM Member

Have you tried clicking on "Roads"? I think that may give a similar effect!

17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Ive just installed it but how do you look for places :-?

18. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

type a postcode in or a place

19. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

but where do I type it :-?

20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

LOL :)

Don't think US DoD would let out anything anyway. The fact they're happy to confirm anything exists there at all is progress.

21. HBB

HBB Active Member

Wow! That's amazing! Although we must have been out when they took the picture - no cars!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    mine
    Google Earth
    house
    dad