Good trombone straight mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lynchie, Dec 8, 2008.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I need one. What's the best? Cost relatively unimportant.

Might invest in a Harmon Mute while I'm at it, what with it being Christmas and all...

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I've heard good words mentioned about Jo Ral mutes.... Bit on the expensive side though...

3. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Jo Ral cornet mutes can't be beaten in my opinion - what the trombone equivalents are like I don't know.

they are the most expensive mutes I've come across (bar silent brass anyways)

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Any thoughts on the copper and brass bottomed versions? Useful? Pretentious? Likely to work in a section?

5. Hells Bones

The only ones I have used of the Ral was the copper bottoms and they worked cos the section had the same mutes. Don't know if it would blend with Wicks though...

Mike?

6. Bones

Bones Member

joral, copper bottomed, daddy mute.........

7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

8. Hells Bones

I'm actually thinking I need to invest on a couple of mutes and a mute case....

Money, money, money though.... :(

9. Fridge

Fridge Member

Tom Crown copper bottom straight mute

Humes and Berg cup mute

Jo Ral Bucket Mute

Dennis Wick Harmon Mute

You can't go wrong with that set up!!!!!

10. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Jo ral or Tom Crown....although you don't say if it's a metal of fibre straight you want .

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harmon
    Christmas
  12. 8th position

8th position Member

Tom Crown copper bottom or Wallace fibre straight mute (the only fibre striaght mute I've found that plays in tune).

Haven't tried the Wallace metal mutes yet.

13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Metal straight I think.

Hmm... Tom Crown vs Jo Ral by the looks of things. Only £4 difference. If only there were some way they could fight to the death.

14. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

15. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I think the first thing you need to ask is what sound do you want? Depending on the sound then mutes by Jo Ral, Tom Crown, Denis Wick, Peter Gane, Humes and Berg might all be appropriate.

Having played most of these I would say that the most 'metallic' sounding are the all metal mutes by Wick, Ral and Crown. The Wick for me has the most 'brightness' and the Ral/Crown are pretty even with plenty of 'bite' and 'cut'.

Still metallic but a bit softer sounding are the brass and copper bottomed versions offered by Ral and Crown. (To me the copper is slightly warmer than the brass).

Next we have the wooden Wick soft but still surprisingly muted.

Then there's the fibre mutes from Gane, H&B etc.

I have the brass bottom from Jo Ral for Orchestral work - for me it's a good blend of quality and sound without being too harsh sounding.

I also have the Wick wooden mute for softer sections or when fibre/wood is called for.

For big band/jazz work I have the H&B straight mute as this is kind of defacto in pro big bands these days.

The variety of mutes I have I think reflects the wide variety in use - there is no one size fits all so start with the sound/music you want to play and go from there.

For what its worth here is my current mute selection (and I play all styles of music)

Large Bore:
    Jo Ral Brass Bottom Straight
    Wick Harmon
    Wick Wooden Straight
    Jo Ral Metal Cup (v. good mute)
    Jo Ral Metal Bucket

Small Bore:
    Jo Ral Harmon (bubble mute)
    Ray Perkins Plunger (center cut out!!)
    EZ Bucket bucket mute
    H&B Straight
    H&B Cup
    H&B Soft Cup
    H&B Solotone
    H&B Pixie
    H&B Melow-wah
    Softone mute

I've also got Wick, Ral and Maslett practice mutes.

16. Toby

Toby Member

Love the Ral, but I don't like the copper bottomed version. The copper is raw and as it oxidises it can become quite dull.

17. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Here's a radical idea, for which I'll probably be shouted down by the 'experts' :biggrin:

Think about how often you use a mute of any kind. If you weigh it up, you'll probably agree it's not very often. Therefore, spend as little as you can while still getting a decent piece of kit, then spend the rest on something more useful (like beer).

My recommendation: Denis Wick. It does exactly what it says on the tin without any fuss and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I've been using Wick mutes now all of my career and have used them in every London orchestra and many others further afield.

Mind you, if money is no object, I'm sure any shop will happily sell you something more expensive;)

18. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Yep, if asked for a straight mute recommendation I usually say go for a Wick. As I said in my previous post there's not much to choose between Wick, Ral, Crown. If you look purely at price then Wick wins - Duncan makes a good point it is quite a bit cheaper than the others (unless you happen to be in the US as I was and the pound is strong :p )

On the cup side my view would differ . . . .I think the Ral is far superior than the Wick . . . . .

19. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

I can only comment on bass trombone mutes, but I basically hate them all.

I've never found a mute that doesn't have at least a few totally duff notes - I don't mean they just sound a bit dodgy, I mean they are utterly unworkable.

Different mutes have different duff areas and I've been known to go on a contest stage with 2 different straight mutes because 1 worked on pedals but not in other registers and vice versa.

The best cup mute I ever used was a peter gane tenor horn fibre straight mute with a denis wick bass trom cup mute cup sellotaped to it.

I'd love to find some mutes that actually work across all registers, but like Bass trumpet said for the amount of time I spend using a mute I can't really be bothered spending time and money looking. It is very frustrating though when you have a muted passage to play and it is phyiscally impossible to do so.

Phil.

20. Bert Smales

Bert Smales New Member

I was looking round Homebase today and I'm not convinced that a medium terracotta flower pot with some corks attached (with superglue, obviously) wouldn't make a lovely dark sound. OK, I understand they may be heavy, but with adequate circuit training players can tolerate the extra weight. Has anyone tried this already? Mr D Wick?

21. gaj

gaj New Member

Can anyone let me know where I can find a decent Very large Bass trom cup mute other than Denis wick or humes & berg and also without taking out a second mortage for a Jo Ral or Peter Gane!!

thanks
    g [​IMG]

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harmon
    Christmas