Good relationships are based on bedroom actions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Steve, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

I was having a chat with a good friend last night and we think we may have found the basis for the perfect relationship we all hope to find at some point in our life. While going over good and bad past relationships we have found a striking common factor and while it is completely about bedroom activity, I think its acceptable for the forum.

We believe the basis for a good relationship is the way you sleep and found the following common factor.

The best relationships either of us have been involved in are ones with people who compliment our sleeping position, he for example is someone who lies on his left hand side and prefers the left hand side of the bed, his best relationship was with someone who slept on their right hand side on the right hand side of the bed. This meant they slept back to back but were both happy with the situation.

Another of his close freinds sleeps on his right hand side as does his current partner, he prefers the left hand side of the bed and is a genuinely affectionate chap whereas she prefers the right and is a very affectionate gal but not as openly or outwardly. This results in him being able to lie behind her and give her a cuddle as they sleep.

My preference is sleeping on my left on the right hand side and my ex was a left side of the bed but right side of the body sleeper. The meant when waking up you were face to face.

All these various combinations seep to tesalate in one way or another and when we compared them to the worst relationships we had encountered we found that without even knowing it one or t'other in a relationship would change their sleeping position to accomodate the other person, this is clearly the route of all evil in a relationship.

Any one got any money to fund my reserarch into this ;) or even any comparisons they can add from past / present experience?
  2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I can see a good point in that one! There's nothing worse than not being able to get comfy and sleep when you do actually want to!

Evidence: Once we couldn't sleep so badly that we ended up "topping and tailing". it was far more comfier, but must have looked very bizzare! and certainly wasnt very affectionate! ..........So ummm that relationship ended!......You deffinately have a point! :)
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Very interesting! I shall give it some thought next time we sit in a trombone section together. Does the way you face when you sleep determine the way you point your slide? I personally prefer to shoot to the left, but can be ambidexterous when in tight situations. Also, perhaps trombonists may find that they are not compatible if they point towards each other? Bass trombonists might have to start facing the same way as tenor players, instead of at 45 degrees (a strange banding oddity).

Oh my God, with all these questions in my head, I'm going to have difficulty sleeping. Feel free to buy me a pint of anasthetic at Butlins.

Cheers mate,
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous. :)

My preferred sleeping position is diagonally across the bed and hogging the whole duvet. Perhaps that's why my wife gets angry at me sometimes. :)
  5. vonny

vonny Member

Interesting research Steve... I think i might want to investigate this further, although a companion is needed - how about you, as you can share some of your well founded sleeping positions with me ;)

Yvonne x
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member won't get an offer like THAT every day of the week Steve!! :shock:
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

not every day, no. lol
  8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Don't forget that any research you carry out...e.g sleeping with random people, will have to be repeated on a number of occasions (the more the better :icon_wink: ) to account for any anomolous sleeping sessions.

I must admit that this sounds like one of the better and more interesting research proposals i've heard... " My research involves sleeping with lots of women..." would make a cracking MA thesis :icon_cheesygrin:
  9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I've known this for years. My favoured sleeping position is the entire bed, the entire duvet, in fact most of the room. Hate people getting in my way when I'm trying to sleep and anyone snoring near me had better be prepared for suffocation or at least a knitting needle up the nose. I'm a restless sleeper and have been known to administer (unconcious) violence on partners. Still occasionally wake up to find EvilDaddyBadger in the spare room nursing a black eye.
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It must be a regular hoot seeping with you then! :icon_biggrin:
  11. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

for me i like the right hand side of the bed lying on my right hand side and it's all the better when i have a nice mans chest to rest my head on
  12. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

why do you have a knitting needle close to hand in the bedroom?
  13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I think I prefer the right hand side of the bed too... I always walk around my bed to get in on that side, despite the fact that the left is nearer (and it's not even a double bed!)
    I tend to sleep and not move a lot (unless I can't sleep in which case I get very restless!) and I usually don't move an awful lot. Tend to sleep on either side of me really or occassionally lying on my back
  14. horn1

horn1 Member

How does the theory work if you sleep like a starfish? ;-)
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

As long as the other person teselates with a starfish then the relationship will be fine. Two duvet thieves however means one either changing or serial sleeptime issues. Its not about your position, its all about not compromising to achieve comfort.
  16. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

i have no preference for a side of the bed, but me and my partner seem to fit best when he lies on the left (i'm assuming this is looking upwards or at your legs or whatever) and i lie on my right side tucked into his shoulder. sometimes he cuddles me, which i love, but his left shoulder has been painful lately and he has had to sleep on his back a lot. this leaves me feeling a little sad sometimes. depends on circumstances and how good the other bedroom activities have been.
  17. Steve

Steve Active Member

is there a tMp award for daring to say thing like this in this forum :p
  18. vonny

vonny Member

Wow steve you usually have quite a lot to say - maybe you're a shy boy afterall lol
  19. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Please tell me you weren't having this chat with Tim!! x
  20. Steve

Steve Active Member

Im honestly very shy, just a little missunderstood!

No Jayne, we safe ourselves for conversations about debt and our love for this country.