Good pieces for a slow melody competition??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Raymond Tenor Horn, May 6, 2008.

1. Raymond Tenor Horn

Raymond Tenor Horn New Member

Hi. I've recently played in a slow melody comp, but chose unwisely (and should have been disqualified based on my choice of music).

What are good slow melody pieces for a tenor horn with piano accompaniment?

2. Woodpecker

Woodpecker New Member

Horn slow melodies

What did you play then that could have got you disqualified?

Demelza is good with piano.
  3. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

The choice of piece very much depends on the instrument.
    I have been fortunate enough to adjudicate at local solo contests and have had experience of both well,and badly chosen pieces.
    The piece needs to be challenging in it's dynamic and tempo ranges, the player needing to acknowledge that these exist in their interpretation of the music.
    The music also needs to be appropriate to the player's ability, this is not always the case in junior players' choices.
    Some of the classic pieces, such as 'Samson and Delilah', 'The Iceberg' and 'The Holy City', still hold their ground as choices, but make sure you have the ability and confidence to choose pieces of this standard.
    For Horn, 'Over The Rainbow' is a lovely choice but many songs from the shows suit the horn sound.
    Personally, I play Euph' and choose 'The Iceberg', 'Softly as I leave you'. 'Che Faro' and the 'Flower Song' from Carmen, as my pieces at solo contests.
  4. Raymond Tenor Horn

Thanks. Don't know it, but I'll check it out.

5. Raymond Tenor Horn

It's for tenor horn. I used to play over 30 years ago, but my comeback has been for only 5 months, so my upper G's are not yet consistent and nice-sounding. I have tried "Over the Rainbow", and it is the high note that causes me a problem.

I'll check the others. Thank you.

6. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

When i enter slow melodies i play The Star of Bethlehem, Stephen Adams. That's a good one with piano accompaniment. It's one of the best slow melodies written for horn in my opinion. The Holy city might work but you'd have to transpose it from B flat to get it to work with the piano.
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Although it's not a recognised Bass Solo I often used to play "Broken Melody" by August Van Bien on EEb Bass at Slow Melody Contests.
    It was originally composed for 'cello and is a beautiful and varied tune which encompasses the full range from low G up to top B natural.
    I should think it would work well for horn.
    - Wilkie
  8. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I cannot remember the last time I went to a slow-melody contest with piano accomp'.
    Most air-varies stipulate piano accomp' but it is now rare for slow-melody.
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes, I agree, I played in a great many Slow Melody Contests in the late 1960's, but never once came across one where a pianist provided accompaniment - totally unknown.
    It was just you in one corner of the room on your tod, the judge behind a scruffy curtain in another corner, and an "audience" consisting of about 20 grim faced hyper-critics sat on tubular steel chairs, arms folded, waiting to gasp loudly in unison at any blip or slip that might occur in your performance.
    "It werr tuff in them days tha 'no's "
    (Beer was better though !)
    - Wilkie
  10. Di

Di Active Member

Apres un Reve is a nice little number available with piano.
  11. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Up until my daughter taking part at Leicester last year I had NEVER come across a slow melody contest that DIDN'T have an piano accompaniment. It was a bit of a shock to us to say the least.

In fact, other than the British Open it is the only slow melody contest she has done where there isn't a piano accompaniment.

The Oxford Festival (next Sunday) states that an accompaniment is an integral part of the performance and I am inclined to agree (although I have found it impossible to get one for next week and they don't have an official accompanist).

At the Forest of Dean Solo, Duet, Quartet and Ensemble Championships (6th July 2008 - PM me if you want a schedule) piano accompaniment is optional in the slow melody classes but compulsory in the solo championship classes.
  12. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

For horn maybe Lark in the Clear Air. Is there a piano accomp version of One Day in your life?
  13. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Yes, mostyn music have it listed on their website.
  14. leisa

leisa Active Member

Ditto, Ive never done one with piano accompaniement, ever!

Good pieces for slow melodies depend on adjudicators really, some prefer old traditional slow melodies others prefer more modern. I did one once on John Gollands Ballade and just lost out because the adjudicator wanted a more traditional piece, that is that only time out of about ten that ive come across that though i think most adjudicaters are probably open to whatever you choose as long as you play it well.

For horn i like demelza or lark in the clear air
  15. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

What i was saying was that i've played in slow melodies on The Star of Bethmehem. I also entered a music festival's slow melody section on TSOB with piano accomp. not at a competition which all the sections are slow melody. But it does work well.

Just thought i'd clear that up.:D
  16. Personally I normally go for pieces that I have some familiarity with and that are not to high, and that I have confidence playing. For cornet players I would recommend "Russalka's Song to the moon" or "My Heart and thy Sweet voice". For Tenor Horn players If it is possible to get a piano accmpt. part then "Afton Water" would be good. Does anybody know what the exact tempo limitations are on a "slow melody" just out of curiosity?
  17. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

You have just brought millions of memories flooding back!
    The big annual contest in Lancashire was at Spurley Hey School.
    Slow Melody, Quartets and Youth Section Bands.
    Character Building!
    I cannot remember how good the beer was though!
  18. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I could not agree more. When you are at these contests as a competitor, you meet so many people from local bands, who otherwise you would have nothing to do with.
    Back in the 70s, I used to go to a lot of contests with my brother Matt, and our friend, John Graham. You would tend to find the same faces on the circuit, some you were pleased to see, others made your heart sink ( they were consistently good! ). Ian (Smokey) Wright was very difficult to beat, as was John himself.
    We made so many friends from those days. I would recommend these contests to young and old, as both social events and a way of staying in practice!
  19. flugelproud

flugelproud New Member

This is a good thread - I recently took part in a slow melody contest my first in 20 years! I played the Summer Knows and was criticised for my choice.

Any suggestions for flugel please?
  20. leisa

leisa Active Member

Rusalka's song to the moon, Share my Yolk, Dimitri, Ave Maria, somewhere over the rainbow, Aye Walkin...