Good old tMP...again.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Nov 17, 2005.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

The GMTV weather girl this morning was in WEM in Shropshire. Nothing odd there I hear you say, but two years ago I would have said something like "Where on earth is WEM?" or maybe even "Where the hell is Shropshire??"...this morning however, solely thanks to tMP, I was able to reel off a load of names of people that I know that live and play there. :biggrin:

Thanks tMP, you broadened my horizons.

Good morning to all you WEM-ites too, I saw where you live this morning! :tup :p
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

weh hey! the power of tmp!!!
    AVE IT!!!!
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Too right, and there was me thinking 'WEM' was an accurate way of describing how ready the new national stadium will be by the time the 2006 Cup Final is due to be played.....

:) :)

Hold on...... I, like crawford, discovered where this place was via tMP and the fact that we have members of the Wem Jubilee Band on here. We know about Wem. Where's 'Jubilee'? ;) :)
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

End of the Jubilee Line, of course ;) :D :oops:
  5. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

good old tMP again

Not only have i discovered where WEM is i have played for (Wih Pride) Wem Jubilee band, eat your heart out Peter Roberts, Yeeeeeeeeah:clap:
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i thought it was Peter Roberts in desgise!!!!
  7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

....and then you go to the smallest village in the world (near Wem) and the following week some paper work turns up at your office about said village! (ask Steve!)
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I had a great time in Shrewsbury (apart from the rank hotel...) and my hosts were amazed to find I had friends in Wem!
  9. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Was Via Crewe the best way - or are you going have to sack the lad who booked the tickets;)?

Getting to that side of Birmingham from London can't be easy.

PS How long does it take to get to Wem from south side of Brum? What nights do you get together in Wem - might try and get over next time I visit the Parents
  10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Nope. Gonna ask for a refund for my fees for the 'O' Level Geography course I took. Shrewsbury is the next main stop south of Crewe! :redface:

It was a great day, though Shrews don't understand Laaaarndahn accents...
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Some years ago Wem also appeared in the letters page of one of those naughty magazines they sell on the top shelves of newsagents. (I did not have my own copy, I was shown it. By Bagpuss if memory serves). Wem is obviously the place to be.:cool: :cool:

TIMBONE Active Member

Yes, I shouted to Julie, (it didn't get her out of bed though), "Julie, the weather girl is in Wem! She might even be standing outside Roger's house!"

TIMBONE Active Member

I forgot to mention that before tMP, I only knew of a cheap combination guitar amplifier called a WEM :)
  14. ohhhhhhhh dear.
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

Damn, she missed your weekend visitors from middle eath. I hope you asked her why she was absent from the gig on Saturday!! If she can make it for the morning weather report then she can surely make it for some awesome saturday night entertaintment.

As for Bettisfield and Ellsmere, well................ Having never heard of either place until Caroline gave me the international guided tour of the surrounding Wem area, I was more than a little supprised to receive the invite tender documentation for a Georgian Grade II listed building restoration in Bettisfield Park!!! :eek:

The best way to get to Wem is not on train (or car from Oxford) as these two routes can be problematic!!
  16. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Smashing place is Wem...used to call there once a month at John Jenkins Commercial Vehicle Spares when I was working back in the 90s....didn't realise they had a brass band then though or I might have stayed overnight for a blow.
  17. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

I beg to differ madame badger!!! 'Twas not me!! It was a certain Mr. Hanby aided and abetted by your baby brother. For the record, I have not and would not purchase such gratuitous materials!!!

18. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Just as a (semi) definitive guide to travelling by train to Wem, if you're coming from the south of the country, change trains at Birmingham. Get on a train to Shrewsbury and change again for a change to Wem. From the North, change at Crewe for Shrewsbury and then again for Wem, or if you're really lucky and you time it right, change at Crewe for a direct train to Wem.

Far more reliable than National Rail Enquiries