Good night, and good luck

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Brian Kelly, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Go and see this film. It's still only February, so I can't say that it is the best or most important film you will see this year, but it is definately a contender. Just as Arthur Miller used the Salem witch trials to comment contemporary (i.e. late 1940s) America, George Clooney uses Ed Murrow's clash with Senator Joe McCarthey to comment on contemporary USA, although the issues range further afield and apply just as much to contemporary UK.

Even if you think that parallels do not apply, it is still a valuable and timely lesson on what it was like at that time and in that place.

It is also very well made, with excellent performances all round, great direction, excellent cinematography, great use of contemporary film and TV footage, and a great music soundtrack to boot.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    film
    luck
    Joe McCarthey
    lesson
    witch trials
  3. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Definitely agree - a must see!!! I don't know who they got to play Ed Murrow but the guy was brilliant. Picking up his characteristics.

The Guardian on saturday did a brilliant comparison between Clooney and Bush jnr

"who would you trust a lapsed sober catholic or a drunken fundamentalist:"

4. 8th position

8th position Member

Yes, I've got to echo Brian's comments - it's well worth going to see.

5. Heather

Heather Member

I heard a fantastic review of this film on GMR the other day.
    I must go and see it.