Good News of the day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mesmerist, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

woohoo I see robhibberd is back! You have been missed my friend.:)
    So what is everyone else's good news of the day?

2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Robs back? That is good news!!!!
    Where is he?

3. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

That's brilliant news. I haven't seen him post yet though..... Is he treading carefully?
    :clap:

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Last time I looked he was on his 999th post so perhaps his 1000th is going to be a goody - the last one got him a 3 month ban ;) .

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Good news? really can't think of any - how depressing is the news? You get up, listen to the radio and it's chaos everywhere - if anyone can find any good news amongst this lot please, please put it here in BIG letters.

Taxes for lowest paid double from 10p to 20p (5 million people affected and Mr Darling "might" think of doing something about it in the next budget - yeah, and pigs might...)

Credit crunch - if all this lending in America has ballsed up the finance market where has all that money gone? These banks were making fortunes out of the Collateral Loans system, paying themselves massive bonuses and now the tax payer is bailing them out with Government secured triple A loans.

Northern Rock - see above.

Fuel prices - un-leaded heading for 110p a litre and Opec who could increase production to reduce the price are seeking to achieve 120 dollars a barrel. Oh and there might be a shortage because of a strike on Grangemouth refinery.

Beer and wine prices go up for everyone in order to stop underage and binge drinkers - penalise the majority for a mindless minority.

In Iraq an accidently shot youngster gets £2 million for his disability and in the paper last weekend there are photos of him playing basketball - a UK soldier has massive disabilty (the worst of any survivor) and is offered the maximum compensation of less than £200,000.

World food prices - basic food price has apparently doubled, for 100 million people that means they can now only buy half what they need - In Africa crops are not being grown because many countries are involved in tribal/religous/ethnic civil wars.

Government seeks to increase detention of terror suspect to 42 days even though there is no evidence to suggest it has ever been needed.

Only added the bit about terrorism at the end because that often seems to be the most important item on the government agenda - does anyone else feel that it is used as a smoke screen to divert opinion away from all the other really bad news.

Oh just thought of some good news - there are local elections on the 1st of May and at least a third of the country can give an opinion that sends a message to the government.

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Does he actually know he's allowed back on?

I'll give him a ring later to make sure ;)

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Care to have a stab at how many of that third will actually get off their backsides to vote, instead of moaning about it in the pub? :mad:

Sorry, this is supposed to be a good news thread....

Errrr well, it's quite sunny here at the moment...:redface:

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

oh and that as well - Global flipping warming - how disastrous is that going to be, pole caps melting, polar bears suffering, sea levels rising - and wait for it - another opportunity for a government to raise some taxes. How much tax do they think they need to raise to deal with that one - or perhaps it'll just go towards MP's £25,000 a year expenses and those golden pensions..

Oh the sun's shinning here too.

9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Oh dear this thread has become more like Eeyore's wake than Tigger`s party...

Good news for today ... hmmm ... I`ll get back to you...

10. steve butler

Good News? - I've had three nice pm's today

Once again tMP is a happy fluffy place

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Good News
    day woohoo
    robhibberd
    friend
  12. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

My good news is that my school has been closed for the NUT strike.

13. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Good news of the day......I am thoroughly enjoying a large bag of fruit pastilles!

14. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

My good news is that I've just realised I'm allowed back on woohoo!! Hello all :)

I believe this will now be my 1000th post....I'm pressing the post button very tentatively! ;-)

I've missed you all too, my friends :)

15. tojo

tojo Member

ive nearly finished my night shift (yawn)

16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Me too......... only 2 hrs 45 mins to go!!! (let's not focus on the other 2 I still have to do!).

17. tojo

tojo Member

only one more for me thank god

18. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Only no more for me now he he, more good news!!

I think I ought to now post on the "What are you drinking?" Thread ;-)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  19. steve butler

Great news!!! - I'm not sick!!!
    Had a long session with my therapist, everything was laid bare, my heart and soul, all my innermost feelings were delved into and I got the all clear.

Well there are one or two little issues to be addressed,
    some of my weekend activities caused a slight uplift in the eyebrow region,
    and the occasional tendancy to assume everyone has a sense of humour - that required a bit of homework viewing a medical forum called the EarPiece (tEP). Demonstrations of persons quite severely affected by humour deficiency syndrome were a little distressing but nonetheless enlightening!

One or two more sessions with the shapely (much to attractive for me to recover too quickly) therapist and I should be a new man.
    I may even get to go out this Saturday evening in full alpha male attire!

20. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Sorry, but no-one who uses that many exclamation marks can claim to be truly sane !!!!!!!

Never mind - the band sounded pretty good without you last week ;)

Oh, it's OK, Gordon's going to give compensation to people affected - and he's promised to back date it to the beginning of the tax year (though not necessarily carry it on to future tax years.......)

Of course those of you who belong to the Anglo-saxon opressive majority could just celebrate today's saint:

By George! by Elvis Mcgonagall

Once more unto the breach, dear Morris Dancers
    once more
    Jingle your bells, thwack sticks, raise flagons
    Cry “God for Harry and Saint George!”
    Gallant knight and slayer of dragons
    Patron saint of merry England –
    And Georgia, and Catalonia, and Portugal, Beirut, Moscow
    Istanbul, Germany, Greece
    Archers, farmers, boy scouts, butchers and sufferers of
    syphilis
    Multicultural icon with sword and codpiece
    On, on you bullet-headed saxon sons
    Fly flags from white van and cab
    But remember stout yeomen, your champion was Turkish
    So – get drunk and have a kebab

21. steve butler

Yes I see what you mean Ronnie, excessive exclamation marks would appear to indicate a modicum of insanity !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Good News
    day woohoo
    robhibberd
    friend