Good news for a change?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MattB, Apr 1, 2008.

1. MattB

MattB Member

In light of recent posts focusing on the negatives of our movement, hows about some good news? Who's got a goodwill story related to their band/organisation that they want to tell? Its about time we remember why we do this, not to moan or backbite, but to better ourselves, meet different people, experience different things and, dare I say it, do some good?

My band on Friday is doing a charity gig, for a local charity called Bealeys at Radcliffe Civic Hall. All proceeds from this are going to the funds of the charity. The band isn't taking a penny. Thirty bandsmen, helpers and backstage staff (not to mention the MD!) turning out on a Friday night for nowt to help out local people more needy than ourselves.

Isn't that what makes banding great?

2. brass stick

brass stick Member

of course it is Matt - and free advertising too!!

good luck with your concert, I'm sure it will be a success!!:clap:
  3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

We too do a lot of concerts for charity and only last Friday did we do another. The Good will on this occasion isn't the fact of raising money for the charity but the good will shown by a player with in the movement. I will explain.

Our kit player had to be taken in to hospital prior to the concert with Pneumonia. I was given the task of finding a Dep. I asked the one person I thought could do the job with the ability needed to sight read at pace and so asked tMPs Weenie from Polysteel Band he kindly said he would do it and all was great. Then came the act of good will. Due to unforseen circumstances Weenie at the last minute was unable to make the job and rather than just tell me he couldn't make it and leave me to find another Kit Player he made the effort to ask a friend of his from Cory Band if he could help and he said he could.

Now if that is not a true case of good will within the banding movement then I don't know what is. A Dep who makes the effort to find a replacement Dep for a band he has never played for before

I would like to thak Both weenie and Simon for there help

Cheers Guys
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

This is definitely the place to applaud Blackley for their charity concert in aid of the Manchester Childrens' Hospitals on Saturday night. In direct contradiction of some of the "anti-top section" posts that tMP has seen recently, some of the movement's finest players turned out to lend a hand, including Leyland's Solo Horn (Aidan), several members of Wingates including their percussionists and bass trom (Bayerd), principal cornets of Wingates and Faireys, Sian from Rothwell, and others including players from Meltham, Poynton, Middleton - many of these travelled a considerable distance in the piddling rain for this gig for no more reward than a couple of bottles of Carlsberg :clap: . Unfortunately, I was there as well, increasing the average age and lowering the average ability, but a top concert nonetheless, raising in excess of £500 I believe.