Good Moments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellyfrost, Nov 28, 2007.

1. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Follwoing on from Masterblaster's post asking what annoys everyone most at band, I thought I'd go for a more positive vibe and ask what everyone really enjoys at band?
    What are the things that keep you going and make you go home thinking that was a really good rehearsal?
  2. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

when you come home being able to play something you'd always thought you'd never be able to. That's one of the best feelings EVER.
  3. My list of good moments

1) Playing on a contest stage and knowing that the band could not of played any better (Scottish Open comes too mind)
    2) Being drunken and merry with fellow bandsman singing coming up camborne hill coming down! (Scottish Open again)
    3)Flying to band contests and having a lovely Bus (Scottish Open once again)
    4)Have a good practice at home and being able to play something I usually cant
    5)The Chord at the end of the Pines of Rome!
    6)walking onto the albert Hall Stage
  4. Bunnymonster

Bunnymonster Member

I love to play and I love music that I have to work at (I'm a bit scared to say I love modern hard rhythmical test pieces). But I also love the feeling that my band is my extended family.

My best moment was playing in champ section for the first time at the area on Tristan Encounters. Not only did I love the piece but when I came off stage I felt I had achieved something special with people I really care about.

Although I wasn't playing, having the band at my wedding was also special. They were sat behind the vicar and while my husband (whom I met at band) and I were taking our vows we could see the whole band smiling at us. It was wonderful!
  5. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

I love sight reading!
  6. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

:eek: me too! But I'm rubbish at it lol
  7. flugelman

flugelman Member

New challenging music
    Old challenging music!!!!
    Winning contests (occasionally)
    A good concert to a full audience
    Having great mates to share rehearsals with
  8. Di B

Di B Member

Hope I'm not the only on who has experienced this..... When you are fortunate enough to be able to sit there and play in perfect time/style with another player with no effort at all. It just feels so good!
    Usually comes after years of playing in the same band as someone else and your playing is just on the same wavelength.

Usually a section thing, but have experienced it between euph/cornet and euph/trom too.
  9. on_castors

on_castors Member

I think I know what you mean, and the benefit is I never feel so guilty when making a Dog's breakfast of something when I am sight reading ;-)

10. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Yeah that might partly be it but I love having the challenge, and the fact that it's something brand new to my brain! Anyone else like sight reading? not many players that I know do!
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  11. David Mann

David Mann Member

Me too! Also:

The satisfaction when something goes right for the first time, either individually or as a band.

Hearing less experienced players gain in ability and confidence.
  12. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Coming off stage knowing you have ( and the band ) played the Best ever
    Australian Nationals in 04 comes to mind in Melbourne.
  13. annieds

annieds Member

Knowing, at the end of a concert or contest that we couldn't have done any better. (Happens sometimes).
    That buzz at the end of a concert when everyone is a little bit high and we go to a pub and the local Indian and feel mellow and really pleased with ourselves.
    The end of a rehearsal when the conductor has told us how well we have done. (Seldom enough to feel special).
  14. annieds

annieds Member

Hey Hellyfrost! This is a good thread. I was feeling a little blerh until I came across this. It made me remember why I love banding.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

What makes me happy in bands is when new players come and lift the band standard and morale. Also i like it when you get test pieces with a solo for your instrument in
  16. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Number 5!! Oh yeah!!
  17. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Same here, some examples from this year:

1.) Northern Area - Wayfarer
    2.) Fife Contest - Entertainments
    3.) National Finals - Ratcliffe Highway

Every contest performance this year has left me buzzing as the band have come off stage. Long may it last.