Good Hymn Tune Arrangements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Born Again Hovis Man, Jul 13, 2014.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Looks like it's General Series #1287, available as a re-print from our Mail Order department on 01933 445 445.

2. tat

tat Member

Cheers Carl, phoned and ordered.

3. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Just so you're aware, on the Grimethorpe recording they miss out a section of the arrangement in the minor key, which I happen to think is quite a dramatic section of the piece!

Have to agree though, it's a great arrangement, and never been used as much in SA circles as it deserved to be.

4. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Fair enough, but as a Welsh person, this tune is never considered 'sacred' in Wales, and I don't believe the religious setting is widely known outside SA circles (I've certainly never come across them, as a non SA churchgoer). The words traditionally sung by male voice choirs are the original Welsh secular words, which is why it's not thought of as a 'hymn tune' in Wales. Maybe the words will become more well known in future. Anyway, hymn tune or not it's a blooming good tune!

Jack E likes this.
  5. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

I think Myfanwy counts as a hymn tune, and yes, someone in the SA did write words to it, "Priceless Treasure" as I remember

6. tat

tat Member

Just received the music and a bit disappointed that for the cost of it there is only 1 print of each part, and not a full band set.

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Sorry to hear that, someone in our Mail Order department is onto it right now.

8. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

I think that might be because it comes with a licence to photocopy as many parts as you need for your band

9. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

"In Perfect Peace" ( Kenneth Downie) the version of "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" (Hubert Parry, arr Graham)and "Lord of All Hopefulness" (Irish trad arr Downie) are my 3 favourite hymn tune arrangements. All are on the Grimethorpe "Hymns" CD. Lovely.

10. John_D

John_D Member

Philip Chapman's arrangement of Bramwyn is good.

11. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

12. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

13. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

it is indeed a miniature masterpiece, and one of the most difficult pieces in the Salvation Army repertoire, every part is exposed and poses real technical challenges. Whatever your beliefs, this is a piece of the utmost profundity, the words associated with it (you can look them up for yourselves) really speak to the human condition.

14. Statto

Statto Member

Vaughan Williams arrangement of the Old 100th (first performed at the Queen's coronation in 1953) works very well for brass band. Major Peter Parkes transcribed this for band many years ago but not sure if a published version exists.

15. kaderschaufel

kaderschaufel New Member

there are some fantastic arrangements by Goff Richards: Crimond, Nottingham, Abide With Me

16. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

@katieeuph
    It is, indeed! The first time I heard it sung (by a choir in the little town of Wdig, Pembrokeshire), I thought it was a hymn, too. Some years ago, I lived in Wdig, in a flat next door to the building which was used by both the choir and the brass band of Wdig for rehearsals - and I was astonished at how good both were, considering the very limited population in their catchment area. Even though I lived there through the winter, when they were rehearsing I opened the windows wide to hear them better!

A Welsh male voice choir, singing in . . . what? five part harmony? . . . and with ALL voices given full expression, unlike so many (if not the majority) of English choirs, whose MDs seem obsessed with high notes. Listening to English choirs, I get the impression that the MD says to them:

"Right - I want you tenors to push as high as you can possibly reach; baritones - keep it down, boys, remember you're just background; basses, if I can hear you, you're too damn LOUD . . . "

The whole effect is a bit thin and reedy, whereas a Welsh male voice choir is like a proper Christmas cake; rich, loaded with variety of flavours and textures, and deeply satisfying - especially when they are singing in Welsh!

Cymru, y wlad gân - efallai y bydd yn ffynnu, Katie!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice