Good Draw = Good Result

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by stevetrom, Mar 7, 2014.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Another slow day at work so I've been having a look back at previous Area contests for my band.

Over the last 13 years (best data I could find) it is quite clear that our best results have come from, relatively, lat draws and our worst from relatively early.

This agrees with the commonly held view that while an early draw gets you in the bar before it's packed a late draw can help with a good result.

Any comments?
  2. stevetrom

Can't edit the post so I'll add some info.

In 13 years we have been drawn in the 1st half on 5 occasions, of these 5, 3 have been our worst 3 results taken as a proportion of the number of bands in the contest.
  3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Ive won loads of times after playing number 1 (lost a few after being drawn in the last few too ). If you play well enough and confidently enough you will do well. Personaly im hoping to draw number 1 again on sunday.
  4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Think it tends to be more like good performance = good result. Depends on size of field too. Less than 12 then I don't think it makes much difference.
  5. GordonH

GordonH Member

I am sure I went to the Yorkshire area 1st or 2nd section once and there were 21 bands competing. I couldn't tell which was best after the first seven or eight. It was Orion the Hunter by Granville Bantock, which runs to about 15 minutes so it was a very long day. Interestingly the winning performance was quite clear as soon as you heard it. No idea how the adjudicator managed to place all the others though.
  6. stevetrom

Drawn first on Saturday, came 6h.

A bit disappointed
  7. Ianroberts

The band that won the 4th section midlands drew number 1 this year. Last year it was also won off number 1. I can see a few requests going in next year to play number 1.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. The top 5 paced bands were drawn 1, 3, 4, 19, 20. So at the beginning of the contest and at the end. I wonder if the adjudicators listened to the first few, then didn't bother to listen for a bit, then half an hour before the end, suddenly though yey - we're nearly there let's have another listen. Just seems a bit strange to me !!
  9. It baffles me sometimes how the men in the box, can get the same placings of bands but give totally different remarks. Instead of sharing the same box, they should be placed in separate ones, write their remarks and placings then join them together. eg joe bloggs band may of been placed 1st with one adjudicator and 4th with the other that bands score is 5points. lowest score from both adjudicators wins. Tell me if i am wrong. i just think reading both sets of different remarks, and then given the same placing by both adjudicators one of them has the final say over the other.
  10. Ianroberts

Ive been saying that for years bigman.
  11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's a good idea, and one that's been tried at various times and places, perhaps most famously at the Masters in the 90s with three judges. However, it upsets people - because then you see just how arbitrary some of the placings are, with the same band getting simultaneous high and low placings from the two judges. Difficult results can be seen to be difficult, and many people don't like that - they want to live in a protected bubble where they can quote contest results with no caveats attached. When things are unsophisticated, people call for sophistication, but when things are complex, people call for simplicity.

In all truth, two adjudicators is not nearly enough to even think about getting decent statistics from. I would (and have) suggest(ed) a system of five judges, with the lowest and highest placings for each band discarded. This would smooth results a great deal, but obviously the problem is that they have to be paid for.