Good Cooks?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mesmerist, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Gordon Ramsey is on tv doing a live cook in with chris moyles. So I wondered how many of us fancy themselves as good in the kitchen and what is your signature dish?
  2. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

I don't have a signature dish as such but I do a good roast - and I have been proposed to on the strength of my profiteroles (not by my husband!!) ;)

I would like the time to do more but because I work, only manage 'proper' cooking at the weekend and on my day off - other than that it is quick stuff like sausage and mash. :)
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well i just love cooking been a Butcher meat and cooking just goes hand in hand.
    I love stir frys and do a TOPJOLLY Chilli Con Carne which ive got a special secret on how to cook it and also a fair Lamb/Chicken Rogan Josh.
    Own recipe for a Chicken in Red Wine with Shallots ,Mushrooms,Tomatoes &Garlic.

My Fiance just loves my cooking and knows she is in for a real treat when she comes to dinner&tea .
    For Xmas she brought me a apron which said
    I Do The Cooking
    You do the Washing Up

i will let you guess who does the Washing up out the two of us:biggrin: .
    But we both help each other when we do the cooking :clap:
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

And as for wearing a pinny . . . .

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would disagree ... ;)

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

That pinny lacks a similie, Tom........................
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

or two ... :rolleyes:

8. I watched the Ramsey show and it was a complete hoot with Chris Moyles.
    As for signature dish, I like anything thats typically rustic and british.
    Nothing like this time of year preping a casserole or stew,popping it in the oven , going for a good walk and coming back to a house full of foody smells ready to eat!!

Failing that it's a curry from the local take-away!
  9. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Well, tonight I think I excelled myself.
    gently poached chicken breasts in coconut milk with thai spices, added some oyster mushrooms after 10 mins then a little later some red pepper (for colour and flavour) then some thai fish sauce and king prawns.
    served up with soft noodles stir fried with baby corn, mange tout, spring onions and a little garlic and ginger. ooooooo
    a nice chilled bottle of vouvray and I think Mrs B is putty in my hands tonight!
    This could I think become my signature dish :wink:
  10. leisa

leisa Active Member

I loove cooking!! I like cooking italian style stuff, but generally like cooking anything
  11. millie6589

millie6589 Member

i also love cooking, using weird and wonderful ingredients to create all sorts of 'dishes'! i do have a soft spot for the puds though.......!
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The only thing you need to be a good cook is....

13. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

When you eat some of my food it's useful to imagine it tastes good!! Does that count?

Actually i'm pretty handy in the kitchen, I suppose the signature dish is Beef in Red wine, usually served with Irish Champ (I presume that's the spelling!).
    I find cooking really relaxing, I've also just started trying Indian cooking more - the spice rack is swelling. Found some good recipes, just struggle with the variations on rice!
  14. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Made a Steak and Mushroom Pie tonight, quite proud of myself as it looked quite nice and tasted good, i think i have mastered it! Its usually one or the other.:biggrin:
  15. Tonight it's chicken and bacon pie with a leek and cheese sauce topped off with puff pastry, steamed veg and sweet potatoe wedges.
    All home made and not the stuff u find in the freezer cabinets.
    Tomorrows it's the traditional sunday roast with all the trimmings.
    For the day at the areas though it will be pre-packed scotch eggs and sarnies!!!!!
  16. David Mann

David Mann Member

Regular dish is chicken & green pepper in black bean sauce with baby sweetcorn, mushrooms, whatever. On boxing day we like roast duck with a red wine sauce accompanied by a nice bottle of pommard.
  17. omega56

omega56 Member

millie6589s Dad.
  18. shawnysheep

shawnysheep New Member

I like to make it up as I go, as long as you think about what your doing at the very least you will be able to eat it although at the very best you will end up with an outstanding dish!

19. did that once and ran out of toilet roll after two days!