Gonna Fly Now (maynard Ferguson)

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Louder/faster/higher, May 12, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I have arranged the full Maynard Ferguson version of Gonna Fly Now for Brass Band.
    It's in the origional key and it includes the full screamer part either for the Sop or Solo Trumpet.
    It would be a great way to either start or end an entertainment contest.

it still works with the Maynard part down the octave.

The highest note for the Bb Trumpet is B above Top C.

If anyone is interested i will let you have a copy for free.
    All i ask in return is that i get a chance to play it with a band or record it.
    Pm me for more details
    :clap::eek::clap:

Kind Regards
    Mike

2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

A great arrangement!

3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Who gets the Guitar Solo?

4. i have done the guitar/sax solo as an open Ad-lib section.
    It is on the Solo Euph Part but can be done on any Bb instrument.

5. TheFopp

TheFopp Member

Ermmm... Copyright?!

6. copyright

i thought that as long as i was not making any personal gain that you could use it.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    i will check up on it.

7. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Not necessarily, but there are already exhaustive topics on the forum regarding copyright, so I will not expand my thoughts here. Just be aware of the pitfalls.

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Read the tMP Copyright FAQ article ...

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

...which basically, and quite correctly says: "According to UK law, you can't ever do anything on the arranging front that you might actually want to do without paying more money than it is worth to do it to some faceless corporation who also reserve the right to order you to not do the work entirely arbitrarily."

10. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

PM me - I may be able to help with copyright clearance.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    maynard Ferguson
    Brass Band.It
    Gonna Fly Now
    Solo Trumpet.It
    it.Pm
  12. Thanks to everyone whom have shown interest in the piece.
    But i am going to play it safe until i can get my head around and sort out the copyrite issues.

regards
    mike

13. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

I hope this is not another nail in its coffin, but it`s hardly one of Maynard`s finest solos imo.
    Good overall track though, God bless`im. Saw him several times during his UK era. At Osterly Hotel, West London, he started the first set with a bleeding lip and he couldn`t blow at all. At the 1/2 hour break he disappeared to practice his yoga (or whatever) and came back in blinding top form. Hung around with his arranger Keith Mansfield for a bit & did some work together.

14. unsure

sorry but i am unsure of what you mean by your comments about another nail in the coffin.

15. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

I was being facetious after the fact that other comments were questioning the guitar solo and copyright - sorry. Also Grimethorpe have recorded their own version which imo, without having heard yours, sounds very tame, and too fast, so you do have a small amount of competition.
    I`d love to hear your arr tho` - I would imagine it to be more exciting than Grimethorpe.

16. euphymike

euphymike Member

Should be an interesting arrangement. I used to gig with a guy who played fourth trumpet for a while with the english maynard band. He said his lowest note on most of the part was top 'C'. I hope have you haven't transcribed that for the 3rd cornets? The bass platey, Dave Lynanne, always said he and the pianist had an easy ride because the insturments tended to have limited ranges. everything else was up for grabs!

17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Ey up Killer

It's pretty simple.

Ring PRS, and find out who owns the UK copyright.

Apply to them for permission to arrange one or two sets for non-commercial purposes and performance. (ie: not for sale)

They'll say yea or nay. (Or won't respond at all, which is a 'nay.')

If they say yea, usually you have to pay a fee for the license. (Often anywhere from £20-50 but not necessarily restricted to that - they can charge whatever they see fit.)

Once that's done it's yours to perform - albeit you usually have to go back and ask permission if you want to record it.

By then, you can normally get a publisher interested if it's at all commercially viable. And if not - you won't be worrying about selling it anyway.

As Moomin says, they can turn you down at any time for any reason (or without any reason). And yes, it's often irritating, unfair and ridiculous the works which are under copyright and the reasons they give (or don't) you for turning you down. But them's the rules and the penalties for breaking them can be severe.

Good luck with it fella.

AC

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I actually toyed with the idea (and did some experimental sketches) of doing the MF "Gonna Fly Now" a couple of years ago. What I found to be the biggest problem was finding a way of adapting the original 'leccy bass part for brass basses in a way that would be stylistically convincing. Sure, you can transcribe the notes as accurately as you like, but put it in front of an average brass band bass section and the end result is little short of comical. Basically, never found a satisfactory solution and shelved it. Would be curious to see your solution.

19. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Who was MF 4th chair? One of my playing colleagues (lost touch sadly) was Bill Lilley, who I think only depped at a few UK gigs. It wouldn`t be he by any chance? Bill went on to the Scottish Radio Orchestra till Mrs Thatcher made them redundant. The story of my life also. :cool:

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Wasn't it the man himself? Or am I losing my marbles?

21. thank you

Many thanks Andi and good luck at the weekend.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    maynard Ferguson
    Brass Band.It
    Gonna Fly Now
    Solo Trumpet.It
    it.Pm