Golf - The British Open (ignore if you're not a fan)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Already hotting up to be a classic! Gary Evans sunk an albatross at the par five fourth and Ernie Els holed in one at the eighth!

Who do you reckon will win it? My money's on Els or Retief Goosen but never rule out the Tiger!
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

By my reckoning that means impending disaster, with water, water everywhere, nor yet a drop to drink :shock: :wink: :oops:
  3. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Its a tough one to call this year. Casey looked good for a while (worth an each way bet!), KJ Choi (another that looks good), Levet (surely he can't win again this week!) and Els (what can you say!).

If I was putting any money,

Els to win
    Casey E/W
    KJ Choi to win - outsider
    Levet E/W

We'll see come sunday evening. Personally it would be nice to see Monty winning!
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Tiger Woods has got to come good again sometime so perhaps it will be this weekend.

On a pedantic note....The title is 'The Open' (rather than the British Open) according to the R&A because the first Open held in the UK was so successful that it was copied by other nations.
  6. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

But the way Monty played in the Ryder Cup at the Belfry.....i think he deserves something for that.

Casey played well to get a 66! That E/W bet looks quite good!!
  7. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Isn't Wentworth his home course?

Pedantry aside, I think you're right when you say that Monty isn't mentally ready to win it. I don't think he ever will though I'd love to see it happen - he might actually smile :D

As for Faldo missing the cut - I hope so!!! :D
  8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

You could be right about the home course thing...saw an interview with Mrs Doubtfire the other day...looking quite smug when asked if he could win at his home course...he looked a bit mental tho... :shock: keep monty away from the heavy clubs...he looks unstable..
    come on Ernie...
  9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Troon was the course he grew up playing on... must have been pretty daunting for a ten year old!! :shock:
  10. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I have a feeling that Vijay Singh may do it this year.

Came to Troon late. Only one practice round.

Casual or quietly confident?

Mut put a fiver on him tomorrow.