Going to Florida

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bariman, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Bariman

Bariman Member

Can I ask for some help from you well travelled peeps out there in tmp land? :D

The family (me, wife, 2 daughters aged 13 & 10) are off to Florida next Feb. 8)

As first time visitors to that part of the world has any one got any tips about what things are worth seeing and what are worth avoiding?

Flights, accomodation and car all booked so its just ideas about what's good to do that are needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance. :D
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

generally 3 course meals are to be avoided, unless you happen to be sharing it between the 4 of you...
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Which part of Florida are you staying in?
  4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Well its been about 10 years or so since i went to Florida, but if you get the chance take an excursion to the Florida Keys and the Everglades.

Takes a few hours to get there if i remember rightly, but it is superb. Its all the swampy/rivery/jungly bits of southern Florida where all the crocodiles/snakes, cranes, raccoons etc are in their natural habitat.

It really is worth seeing, and you get to feed the raccoons!!! :D Well cute little animals...who love marshmallow... :shock: ...but back on...
    its a great experience, once in a lifetime sort of thing.

Recommended highly! :D

Enjoy your holiday!
  5. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

you cannot go to florida and not go to disney world, me and my family spent an entire week going round all of the disney parks (including a water park!! very funny!!) anywayz go to disney you knhow you want to and go out for tea every night and i can guarantee your childrens portions are the same as adult one over here, so ur kids can have tea and breackfast out of one paid meal! (or at least thats my parents did to me!)
  6. Yeah and don't forget Kennedy Space Center 8)
  7. drummergurl

oh yeah, we went there too!!
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

one thing to avoid is the "alligator parks" which tend to be simple animal abuse that you pay to watch... much better to see them in the swamps!
  9. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

In addition to the usual Disney based "suspects", head off down to the Gulf - Tampa Bay area. One of my favourite spots down there is Clearwater & St. Pete's Beach areas. You can fit in a trip to Busch Gardens too (Kumba's a nice scary ride!)
    Don't forget Universal in Orlando - a lot of new stuff built round there over the last few years.
    For shopping, loads of Outlet Malls not far from the theme parks - all the usual suspects there too (Ralph Lauren and the like)
  10. angie

angie Member

well there's the obvious disneyworld (give 'its a small world' a miss though if i were you)
    universal's great too and the kenedy space centre
    if you are going anywhere near miami get a boat to the florida keys they are gorgeous and they do some fantastic boat trips.
  11. twigglet

twigglet Member

Some even let you get out and snorkel on the coral reefs in the keys...brilliant stuff if you like looking at pretty fish!
  12. drummergurl

now why would you want to miss that out??? u only have it annoyin ya all of the rest of the day!
  13. rutty

rutty Active Member

*rutty now has the "small world theme" going on a loop round hi brain*

I loved Kennedy Space Centre/Center, and may fave Disney park is Epcot. The World Showcase there is amazing, and make sure you get to see one of the fireworks displays.
  14. drummergurl

hahahaha lol
  15. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

The late night displays of fireworks and lasers are all good but IMHO the best was at MGM.

Two of the three Disney water parks are excellent i.e. Blizzard beach and Typhoon lagoon.

If you go to Islands of Adventure (Universal) be careful of an early start, massive breakfast as the first ride you come to is The Hulk.....could be a technicolor yawn
  16. drummergurl

heehee memories of mother and brother gettin wedgies from water ride!!!
  17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I wish... the furthest I've been "abroad" was when I went to the Isle of Wight when I was a kid! :lol:
  18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

For eating try IHOP or Outback or my personal favourite the Rainforest Cafe just outside Disneys Animal Kingdom. Downtown Disney is great fun at night and if they're still showing the cirque du soleil then go see it. A bit pricey but well worth it. Another thing which we had great fun with was the mini golf at the Disney resort. They have two courses, Fantasia and Winter Wonderland and they're both great fun. Seaworld is fantastic and you have to go to discovery cove but check if you can book as on the day tickets are strictly limited. For the other two weeks of our holiday we took off to the coast where there is fantastic fishing to be had if you're at all interested in that. Otherwise it's great just to chill on the beach after two weeks of park hopping.

As for what to avoid - not much, but personally speaking I've never been to a good dinner show e.g. Medieval Feast or Arabian Knights. We were fortunate to see a shuttle launch at the Cape but I don't suppose they'll be flying anytime soon. And definetly avoid people in the street trying to get you to take a scratchcard from them. Avoid the Wet N' Wild water park on I-drive, disney does it so much better. And finally don't venture North of Sand Lake Road after dark in a car that's nearly out of gas - but that's another story.
  19. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

On the subject of cars, find out what car you have been allocated and if you feel it is adequate for your needs, do not be hassled into upgrading. The rental guys are so persuasive quoting the great deals by paying an extra X dollars per day. If you are not careful, after a tiring 8 hour flight, you will start your holiday with a couple of hundred dollars on your credit card bill.
  20. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I assume you are going to the Orlando area, if so most of the Disney advice you've garnered so far is pretty on. A friend and Florida native went this past February, his advice was to skip Epcot, out-dated,a bit run-down and not much fun for the kids(he agrees about skipping small world) . The opinion around here is to skip Animal Kingdom UNLESS you are big time anial lovers. It's no better than most open habitat zoos and it pretty well kills a day for less than a full days entertainment. He also agrees that staying in or near Dowtown disney is a time saver and convient for food etc.

Watch out for con men around Disney, if they pick up on you being foreign you're fair game. Skip people offering you free stuff in exchange for listening to time-share pitches. You don't have the time to waste.

Realize that Florida is a long state and if you plan to see Orlando and the everglades and or the keys, you are in for a lot of driving (so that rental car upgrade may be worthwhile. Currently gas is flirting with the $2.00/gal mark, which is probably cheap by european standards, but historically high for us (although the pounds quite strong against the dollar right now, that may or may not change after November.) I'm not saying the everglades or keys aren't worthwhile, they are unique to the world, just know going in how long you are looking at driving. Key West itself has a lot to offer if you are young and into partying, otherwise it's a pretty sleepy place.

As you drive, be prepared for anything. Florida is popluated by many aged people, some of who have trouble with navigation, so be defensive, especially if you encounter people driving Lincoln Town cars who cannot seem to extend beyond the wheel.

And then of course you may want to check out the schedule for the Brass Band of Central Florida.