Going back to a house you lived in years ago

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, May 31, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Last week i noticed a house my mum used to live in when she was a little girl had gone up for sale.
    So when i got home i let her know
    So yesterday my mum had arranged a viewing to go and have a look round it again.
    When she came out the person who was selling the house asked her what she thought of it
    My Mum said to her
    "well when i was from the age of 4 to the age of 21 i used to live here and always said if i saw it go up for sale i would like to go round and have a look inside it again.
    The lady was amazed by it but said her mother in law&father in law had lived there from 1974 but when they moved into the house it was a council house still,but now its private owned.
    But did not mind mum having a look round at all.
    My Mum is now 72 but my Nan&Grandad left the house in October 1970 from that day my mum had never been in it since.
    If you saw a house that you used to live in many years ago would you be tempted to go and have a look round it again just for old time sake?
    Or have you done anything like this at all?
  2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Not at all.
    I've moved about 12 times in the past, and considering i'm only 21 i think this is pretty good going!
    Having experienced first hand the effort that you put into making sure your house is clean and tidy before someone comes for a veiwing i would be down right annoyed if someone came to look around my house purely to be nosey with no intention of buying it.
    I'm sure it's very sentimental and all that , but i think it's infair on the people who genuinely want to sell the house- especially with the state of the housing market at the moment.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've frequently gone back to sites of former exploits in the past, but would only want to see a former house from the outside. Last year I revisited my old stomping grounds in Chelsea where we used to practice - the old Duke of Yorks Headquarters on the King's Road. The practice room itself has gone, but the band office is not part of the shops complex.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Tell us more, Peter!

Interestingly, I grew up (yes, I did) in a School House as my Father was the Headmaster and the house came with the job. It was a beautiful old Victorian building with a large four-bedroom house adjoining and a resident ghost :eek: .

A few years back I went on a country drive with my new wife. There was no old wife, sorry, I just meant we were only just married! We came to the old village school and wandered around the grounds and totally by chance met up the the school caretaker checking up after reports of vandalism the night before. It was amazing to see the old school where I had spent so much time. There had been a lot of building work and a new hall and canteen had been added. Although I found it fascinating, it was sad to see the old School House had now been incorporated into the main building and was now the school office with storage upstairs. My motorbike wallpaper was still up, but the whole unused bit was damp, rotting and in decay.

I have actually shed a tear writing that last bit:(
  5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Ive been back a couple of times to the place where I was brought up down in Hampshire.

The first time, probably 10 years after we'd left, it was having substantial building work done and noone was living there - so we went and had a nose around. It was very disturbing to see wallpaper that my mother had put up in what had been my bedroom (a subsequent owner had dry-lined the walls which had protected it...)

The other time we went up to the gate just as the owner was going through and he invited us in. The house had been substantially remodeled (despite not knowing as much about houses as I do now, I knew that some bits of it were "not well built" when we lived there!). Wasn't sure with what they'd done to "our" house...

We were also tempted to go for a house that we lived in for 10 years when it was subsequently up for rent, but couldn't bring ourselves to waste the agents time.... Did have a look in the windows though :)

6. Di

Di Active Member

I've quite often driven past the house I was brought up in for 15 years. It's on a loop of the main road into town, so if the traffic backs up a bit, we drive round the loop and jump the queue. Last time I went by it, there was a Rolls Royce parked in the drive! Also, when we joined Barlestone Band they played each year at my old primary school gala. We would have march all round the roads I used to cycle round as a kid, then back into the school.
  7. dickyg

dickyg Member

bit too Norman Bates for me Perky!!!!
    Never go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. hicks

hicks Member

I've often thought it would be very nostalgic to look around the first house I ever lived in, until I was about 10.
  9. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

Never really had the chance for that myself as my folks still live in the house that I was born in 36 years ago!

My Nan lived in her house from brand new in 1932 until her death in 2005. I can't bear the thought of anyone else living there as it holds so many memories for me, can't even go down the road and look at it from the outside....based on that I would say, never go back, enjoy the memories as it won't be the same and will only taint them.