Goff Richards

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Aug 14, 2011.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

If you were to play a tribute to Goff at a Concert, what would it be?

My choice? "Golden Lady", all sections play different themes, different keys, great sound....

alanl58

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Goff Richards
    Rock Musik III- Confections
    Brass
    concert
  3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Calling Cornwall is nice. I do like Goff Richards pieces.

4. Kaggen90

Kaggen90 Member

We're going to play his arr. of Sweet Georgia Brown soon. Great arrangement! :D

5. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

We're playing Demelza and Doyen

6. Gavin Somerset

Gavin Somerset New Member

Is "Demelza" not by Hugh Nash? Or do you mean Goff's "Maid Of The Moor?"

Incidentally, I love all of Goff Richards works, and his arrangements are brilliant. Things like Disney Fantasy & New York, New York - he scores them perfectly for brass and gets everything just right.

7. nethers

nethers Active Member

A Country Scene?

8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I don't know all of Goff's arrangements but I like all the ones I have seen.

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I'd like to play Higgyjig again, but I don't think it worls on BBb Bass :confused: I would also like to have another go at Voyage of Discovery, and see if we can get it right this time

Oceans would make a good concert piece too.

10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

"Pastorale." Original Piece for band, with some simply beautiful writing. Lovely rich harmonies in there and a few irregular rhythms just to keep things interesting. A very much under-valued piece in the repertoire.

Either that or his arrangement of "I'll Walk with God," which is just heart-stopping.

11. BariPower

BariPower Member

'Voyage of Discovery' - I didn't realise this was a Goff piece when I first heard it - impressive.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Goff Richards
    Rock Musik III- Confections
    Brass
    concert
  13. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

14. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

In fact on our recent holiday to Cornwall my hubby picked up the CD of Goff's 60th birthday concert. All of the pieces have been written or arranged by him, Demelza is on it.

15. simonium

simonium Member

I think Calling Cornwall would be a good bet, but I have a fondness for Silver Mountain.

There's a CD available which was produced for his 60th Birthday which has some classic Goff pieces on it - here.

16. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Our next concert ----- Doyen and Goff`s arrangement of I`ll walk with God.

Great Man.

17. Demelza belongs in every concert. I used to do a great, quick number called "Exploding Brass." Great fun!
    Did a concert in France recently. It was a good programme all round but the piece that really captured everyone's imagination was "Breezing Down Broadway". He was brilliant at his craft.

18. simonium

simonium Member

I wonder if it is an exaggeration to say that Goff Richards "invented" the category of original light music for band? What existed before pieces like Trailblaize et al? I would also like to add the march Pendennis to our playlist (I ought to really...!)

I have also yet to play a better hymn tune arrangement than his fantastic version of Crimond.

19. danthetromman

danthetromman New Member

Yeh i love that piece there is also some really nice parts in his arrangement of ill walk with god.

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I love Crimond myself. has been a while since I played it. I can't say it's the best hymn tune arramgement I have ever played though. Dean Goffins "Light of The world" an arrangement of Aurelia takes some Beating. As does "In Quiet Pastures" by Ray Steadman Allen and "The Pilgrim Way" by Eric Ball is Brilliant.
    I think Goff Richards was Great in the contempory Arrangements he did. But Hymn tune arrangements he was ok. But certainly not the Best.

21. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Maybe one of the Top bands would consider a Tribute recording? Its very likely that if Goff was an SA composer such a CD would have been produced Ball, Bowes, Condon , Marshall , Heaton, more recently Goffin all spring to mind.

22. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

There is a CD on World of Brass called " And The Band Played on " The music of Goff Richards Vol 2. Played by Fodens.
    one assumes there would have been a volume 1 as well.