Goff Richards - RIP

Discussion in 'Viewers, Non-Registered tMP'ers can post here' started by Nanny Ogg, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

He certainly did plenty of work with Kilmarnock Concert Brass in Scotland when Drew Keachie MBE was the MD and the band grew very fond of his input and his musicianship within the banding world. The band certainly felt shocked and the mood was low tonight. He was inspirational and may his work live on. The highlight of his work had to be the Voyage of Discovery and we are especially grateful for his input when we played that a few years ago.

Goff, you will be sadly missed.

2. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Goff Richards

So sad to hear that he has passed away:

Alanl58

3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

So
    Farewell then
    Goff Richards

He wrote a
    Tune about a bus
    But my favourite
    Is Songs of the Quay

Naughtical
    But nice

BJ Sherunkle (74)

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It was never my privilege to meet the man in person, but I was a great admirer of his work. Very skillful user of tone and timbre within a band, and a writer of spotless harmony. Capable of embracing of the whole sweep of music, from the bright, cheerful and tremendous fun of 'Doyen' and 'Golden lady' through to the heartstoppingly pretty and evocative writing in 'Pastorale' and his arrangement of 'I'll walk with God' - the latter of which is IMHO one of the finest crafted hymn arrangemnts in the whole band repertoire.

His work is also a large part of the reason I was inspired to start writing and arranging in the first place, because it's impossible not to have your mood brightened by his writing. It's just so cheerful and uplifting! The big grin that always ended up on my face when "Disney Fantasy" hit the stands eventually made me think I've got to get into this writing lark. And I've never yet played a Goff Richards piece that an audience don't instinctively and immediately latch onto and enjoy. His knack of knowing what would capture an audience is almost uncanny.

I'll never be half the musician he was, but when I do write something decent, Goff indirectly had a hand in it.

RIP sir. You earned it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011