Goff Richards - RIP

Discussion in 'Viewers, Non-Registered tMP'ers can post here' started by Nanny Ogg, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Via a Trevada Music twitter - I hear the very sad news that that Goff Richards died peacefully at 6.35 yesterday evening. Can somebody please confirm as this is another legend we've lost.

Gytha Ogg

2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

He passed away on tmp almost a week ago now, but just as all the usual tributes started to flow in the thread was locked as he was just "gravely ill".
    I would imagine most on here will be wary of crying wolf again until the family / coroner have spoken.
    Most sad if indeed true this time

Phil

3. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

If the Tweet came via Leonard Adams of Trevada Music (though i know hes at Glastonbury) theres a good chance its true. I do know that Len is in very regular contact with Goffs wife

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Like Phil said, let's wait for an official announcement, not some vague source like a twitter message (like what happened last week)

5. ruth1992

ruth1992 New Member

I know were waiting for an official announcement but i recieved an email from brassvibe this lunchtime saying that he has passed last night at 6.35 pm in the arms of his wife, from Mike McCann of brass vibe.

6. Jan H

After checking my e-mails: I received the same (automated?) e-mail message as well. Is this a thrustworthy source?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. gptrom

gptrom New Member

Goff Richards ...RIP

I rcvd a text from leaonard last night to say goff had sadly passed away

8. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Thanks all for trying to get to the truth of the announcement. A big part of me hopes that it's wrong

9. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

My concern is a similar story appeared last week about his death

10. andybass

andybass Member

Goff,s funeral is 1pm Tuesday 5 July .st Thomas,s church stockton heath cheshire

11. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Thanks for clearing that up Andybass

12. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

An article has been published here on 4barsrest. RIP Goff

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sad, sad news. RIP Goff.

14. lannerfalcon

lannerfalcon Member

Goff kindly composed a march for us back in the 80's, The Lanner Falcon in memory of a life member of the time that had passed away, he also conducted the band at its premier performance. I don't think it's ever been published although it was recorded for radio at the time; can't remember who did record it for that. It was the title track on the band's 'tape' recording back then as well!

Cornish bands will always be proud to play his music, an inspiration to us all.

15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

17. Jan H

I've adapted the thread title

18. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Goff Richards.

I never knew Goff Richards, albeit living just a few miles away from his present home in Stockton Heath, but his loss is not only a loss for brass and male voice choirs. His many genres of compositions and arrangements in addition to his teaching skills will I`m sure, be remembered as being an important highlight in the world of British light music.
    I looked him up on Spotify this morning, and `Midnight Euphonium`, the only entry(!) is a typical example of his excellent `light music` style of writing. I wish him bon voyage, and offer all condolences to his family and friends. :clap::clap:

19. SteveT

SteveT Member

Like many others on this forum, I am sad to say goodbye (prematurely) to a fine musician and thoroughly kind human being. I have known Goff and worked with him in various ways since the early eighties and can only say what a consumate man of music he was.

I am sure many tributes will follow, but we have probably lost particularly, the finest arranger of brass band music of his generation.

Resurgam!

20. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Very sad to hear of this news - the first I knew was the article on 4barsrest, already quoted above.

It's well worth a read - I knew he was a versatile musician, but had no idea he had so much success in with big bands as well. It certainly accounts for the high quality and ease of his writing when arranging music of that genre for brass bands.

Besides the lighter side of his music, of which we have a great deal, his contest music was also very finely-crafted ('The Aeronauts' springs to mind) - he was also a very consistent and thoughtful adjudicator. I'll always think of him as a hugely talented arranger, though; his is a sad loss, but he's left a wealth of good music behind for us to enjoy.