Gloria - John Rutter

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by floppymute, Apr 30, 2010.

1. floppymute

floppymute Member

I've just read the report on the recent concert by South Yorks Police Band on 4BR.

It mentions performing John Rutter's 'Gloria' - a fantastic piece in my opinion.

I've wanted to to include this work myself but I wasn't aware of a band arrangement but seemingly one does exist.

Can anyone tell me if it is generally available and, if so, where can I obtain it?

2. JAlexK

JAlexK New Member

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I remember playing it in the early 90s in a Wantage band concert - we simply used the normal parts (i.e. for brass octet and organ), and doubled every brass part up - 4 trumpets became 8 cornets, 2 tenor trombones became 2 tenor trombones, 1st baritone and 1st euphonium, bass trombone became bass trombone plus 2nd euphonium, tuba became 2 Eb basses. It worked well enough for the purpose.

Someone might have written out some transposed parts for horns and other omitted players. I can't recall.
  4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

It is written for SATB, brass (4 trumpets, 2 tenor trombones, bass trombone, tuba), percussion, and organ.

When I performed it many years ago we always practiced with a piano, and that could possibly take the part, but it wouldn't sound as good.
  5. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

fabulous piece. played it round the country several times with Harlequin Brass. There's also a very good recording with the Sheffield Cathedral Girls Choir and Harlequin called Excelsis.

The scoring works fantastically for brass ensemble, I think it would be too heavy scored for a full brass band though. It's having just the right combination of brass, organ and voices which makes it such a stunning piece.
  6. floppymute

floppymute Member

That's exactly why I've hung on all this time hoping to find a full band arrangement rather than just using the brass ensemble parts
  7. New Member

We did indeed use the tptx4 tbnx3 and tuba as well as 3 perc parts.
    The tpts are in C so our sop player (who played lead tpt too) transposed them into Bb in Sibelius.
    We did a bit of doubling up so used 5 tpts, 4 tbns and 2 tubas
    The tbn/tba parts are obviously in bass clef which was fun for some!
    It's not easy but great fun! The organ part is tough too
    The parts were hired by the choir from the publisher.-as was the Armed Man.

Some of the band got a week off!-but a great experience on limited rehearsals-edge of seat job!
  8. BOB

BOB Member

Nottingham Harmonic Society have an arrangement for full band and Organ. Thoresby have played it several times with the choir at their annual Carol concerts.
  9. JR

JR Member

Indeed great stuff - I did it with Guildford Catherdral choir in a series of concerts in 1993 with the (old) Rothwell band, after which we did a joint concert with Redbridge in Ilford.

We used cornets rather than trumpets - it worked very well.

As i recall we did however benefit from some pretty decent players - a young Richard Marshall on top man, Garry Reed on solo trombone and Phil Smith on tuba.

We also borrowed, on different nights, a couple of very young lads on Sop - Chris Deacon and Martin Britt.

John R