Global Warming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by still learnin, Dec 6, 2009.

1. still learnin

still learnin Member

Just a thought. During recent years there have been several references made to the fact that brass bands are in decline. At the same time I can't but help observe that the climate is changing and the ice caps are melting. Could there be a link between the dwindling number of bands and global warming?? It's a worrying thought. It could all be our fault!!!:cool:
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

You may be on to something. Brass bands, much like Maple trees, tend to be centred around colder wether areas. While annual temperature in the UK (~12C) goes up brass bands are declining.

The question is are the number of brass bands holding steady or increasing in colder areas? In part of the midwest in the North America (Ohio, Ontario, Illinois, Wisconsin), it appears number of bands are still increasing (Avg annual temp ~7-10C).

What about Norway?
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Or like mammoths? Or sabre-toothed tigers? uh-oh....:wink:

On the other hand, dilution of the Atlantic by melting ice-caps is likely to lead to reduced oceanic salinity, which will apparently stop the Gulfstream, reducing the average temperature in the UK to that of Greenland. So maybe we can expect a growth in popularity in UK banding to match that currently under way in Norway? or Switzerland?

Every cloud, etc., etc., :biggrin:
  4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Apparently theres a black dyke around that leaves rather a large carbon footprint
  5. still learnin

still learnin Member

I've definitely seem some posts that seem to be manipulating the facts! Lot of hot air on some forums as well. Perhaps we should put on a concert at Copenhagen and get the views of climatologists. They could sit in a tent to listen in order to avoid extremes
  6. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

What have melting ice-caps and ocean salinity got to do with this baby? :confused:
  7. still learnin

still learnin Member

Looks like you're moving into Virgin territory there! (Ok no need to groan that loud, it's getting late am I'm tired)
  8. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Ah but it that the big big big bus they have or just the hot air and heated conversation they produce??

Besides, melting caps, more water, more beer, more happy bandsmen/women. Everything can be linked to banding, it is the centre of the universe! :biggrin:

Of course I do see the serious side too :redface:
  9. still learnin

still learnin Member

We need to remember that each of us in the banding world has a part to play!
  10. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Unless you're a Flugel then you jusr play someone else part... Rep.... 2nd Cornet.....pick a horn..... :tongue:
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

What?!! Fine for ales...but if all the ice melts, how will you keep the lager cold!!
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Well, being Scottish all I have to say on the matter of global warming is bring it on.
  13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I think the complete opposite....Strange as it is I hate the hot summers we've been getting lately in Britain!
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Who's talking about summers....
  15. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

True.....but I like it cold....strangely...
  16. floppymute

floppymute Member

Hot summers?!?
    Have I missed something looking out from under my rain-sodden umbrella for the past three years?:confused:
  17. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

couldn't agree more.
  18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Hot Summer? What day was that? I must have slept in and missed it.
  19. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Bands playing on a bandstand on a hot summers day, no wonder bands are in decline. Definate link i would say
  20. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Hot for Britain......don't you remember the heat waves......30+ degrees? hose pipe ban? And i've never experienced proper, real snow......