'Gladiator' Scores

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Australian Euphonium, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Had this soundtrack for ages but have just re-discovered it's mesmerising power and awesome passion and have realised how fantastic alot of it might be for brass band. I think it is stunning and would definetely give Derek Bourgeios a run for his money on the Lip-Busterment scale. :evil:

I think I can remember playing perhaps one arrangement from it, but are there more?

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i know of two.
    sandy smith's done a great arrangement of the barbarian horde
    and frank bernhaerts done a general one

3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Barbarian Horde is great, I've played it a few times, big blow and the only time you'll be able to "rip" notes and you can't get a mouthful of the MD :D

4. Sweet thanks fellas - yes I remember the Barbarian Horde now and I've set about aquiring it.

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I hope your solo trombone has a strong lip... all those As can really knacker a guy...

6. welcome2martonia

welcome2martonia New Member

youth brass 2000 played it in blackpool one year, tis an amazing piece of music and the cd of grimey playing the movies... it's fantastic well worth the money... if you're still looking could probably get a hold of the score from our libraian, be warned if the answer's no it's because she's a fire breathing hell dragon... but has got a great personality... just VERY VERY VERY protective when it comes to her music... bless her... but yes, tis a fantastic piece of music, should get it back out actually cause we made a good job of it...

7. Sorry chaps - I have to knock your 'Barbarian Horde is great' idea into a cocked hat.

The arrangement you really want to try and get hold of is by Philip Harper. The Flowers Band played it at Spennymore last time round and I was lucky enough to hear it live in a concert recently given by them in Bristol.

It is a direct transcription from the orchestral score and friends in the band have told me that he wrote it as he was listening to the CD! What he manages to do is stretch the dynamics and sound production of the band to produce the most incredible sounds and create the 'perfect' (and I don't use that word lightly) atmosphere for this powerful piece of film music.

In his introduction to the piece he said at one point the band would do exactly as Maximus asked and 'Unleash Hell'. They didn't dissappoint. By the end I didn't know whether to cry from the raw power or run and hide!

This is truly awesome and worth the wait.

8. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

Damm right!!

it is truly fantastic! :D

9. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I've often had to run and hide from that Flowers lot, especially that weird one on percussion :wink:

As for the arrangement, I prefer the Sandy Smith one although I cant say that I am all that struck on the piece generally. Just doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the orchestral version.

Cant say it goes down too well with the holidaymakers during the summer either.

Igg

10. Nothing will ever top the orchestral version, although surely on the soundtrack it's been 'enhanced'

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gladiator' Scores
    Derek Bourgeios
    money
    awesome passion
    Scores
  12. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

True. It's amazing what they can do with their gadgets.

Igg

13. Apparently, when Phil Harper was transcribing from the CD he had a lot of trouble working out notes, instrumentation and basically what the hell was going on because there is so much 'production' on the CD.

He has made an amazing job of it though.

14. Rapunzella

Rapunzella New Member

Is your MD deaf? My MD would go mad if there was any ripping of notes. It's not big and it's not really all that clever either.

15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well i know in the horn part there is definitely ripping notes required... nothing musical about it, but it's definitely what's required in the context!

16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Lol no the part has notes with the word "rip" written :D

17. I saw the euph part the other day and I think 'rip' is actually written on it. Have a listen to the soundtrack version if you are adamant it's not a biggun and who cares if it's not clever, the best music doesn't have to be! - I just find it an enjoyable brutal bloody dirty sweaty angry romp.

18. wideiusgrinnius

wideiusgrinnius New Member

Mmm. Too much information I feel.

There is a difference between loud and good and loud and offensive though. Offensive is not so good, usually heard in amateruish outfits, trying to sound like Black Dyke I feel.

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

True, but when they write "Rip" above notes, I don't think they're going for top band style massive sound and tone...

20. wideiusgrinnius

wideiusgrinnius New Member

Hmm. I'm sure your band and Fodens would sound exactly the same in terms of quality, sound and style playing the same parts. People go over the top when trying to play parts like that as they think the louder and rancid, the better. Not rancid at all in the soundtrack either Australian Euphonuim, so why sould it be horrific in the band sound? Just an effect I feel, not a literal thing!

21. Yes, sound effect I think - I've already tried the literal approach and my eupho has told me she does not appreciate that amount of stress put on her bell :p

and you're right, the soundtrack is very powerfull, but because of the production and the strings and french horns in it - it's more of an electric feeling, a brass band would be more naturaly brutal I guess.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gladiator' Scores
    Derek Bourgeios
    money
    awesome passion
    Scores