Giving up when under pessure

Discussion in 'tMP's .... "On the Spot" interview area' started by Key2207, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Key2207

Key2207 Member

Hi.

I'm asking this on behalf of my mum who can't log on at the moment.

'Being an established and competent cornetist. Has there ever been a time when you felt like giving up? especially when feeling under pressure?'

Thanks.

2. Ankanala

Ankanala Member

Hi

I am not sure whether you mean in performance or completely so I will answer both.

`The Show must go on` has got to be the motto in performance so whatever happens and no matter how disastrously you think you are playing keep going at all costs. It may not be as bad as you think!!!

With regard to giving up completely it has never crossed my mind to finish playing, although one of the several reasons I left Grimethorpe at the end of 1994 was that I felt I was not coping with the pressure of major contests as well as I used to. I took a couple of years out and concentrated on conducting and when I returned to playing I felt much better for it.

Again though I would say that you should keep going and address the issues rather than run away from them. You might find you can conquer them which will bring back the enjoyment and may help cope with stress in other aspectsa of life.