Giving up the demon weed !!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Red Elvis, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Hi All
    Taking the plunge ( again !!) and kicking the habit.Having tried "Cold Turkey" at beginning of year and managing till May this time I've enlisted help of patches etc !
    Any hints and tips to keep me on straight and narrow ?
  2. hicks

hicks Member

How about, if I continue smoking this stuff, it will kill me. Isn't that enough motivation for you?
  3. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

You don't have to tell me ...I'm a Cardiac / ITU Nurse who should definitely know better !! The coughing of a morning , cost and the effect on my playing are the most powerful motivators as well as knowing how much my GF and family hate it !
  4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I gave up smoking, I just stopped. When I was smoking I did so to get away from work for a bit. Find the reasons why you smoke and find a subsitute.

But unfortunately from time to time when I have to much to drink I still do still light up. It isn't easy. Good Luck
  5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes, and a big :clap: for trying to quit again!
  6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Eat sweets, or better still, next time you get the craving take a fiver, roll it up and make as if you're going to light it. Think of all the extra pressies you will be able to buy Kimmi!
  7. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

my brother-in-law took me to a hypnotist, didn't say where we were going untill we got there, I have been stopped 9 yrs. and from the first day after the treatment it has honestly never entered my head, I stopped, my b-in- l didn't, 4 yrs ago he had to have a heart/ lung transplant, hows that for incentive?
  8. andyp

andyp Active Member

A colleague at work is trying these things - electric cigarettes, nicotine but no tobacco - e-mailed me this so I could try persuading a family member to try them...................

A good starter pack is this

or this

Ignore the super minis as they are too fiddly and the carts don't last long.

Good advice is to get a starter pack plus a spare atomiser and either a bunch of cartridges with flavouring (about 25) or about 10 cartridges and a bottle of liquid to top them up.

This is the forum that I go to- lots of advice here:

this is the screwdriver style that I will be getting soon (with pics in the thread so you can see what I'm talking about)!

Links to UK suppliers (including the site I posted before:

I'd recommend (based in Hertfordshire) and (same firm based in Darwen) also sells on ebay as pillbox38 - store here:
    This is the white version of the larger black ecig that I have and comes with a bunch of cartridges too:
  9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Put the money you would have spent in a jar until the end of the month and marvel in how much you have saved.

Then buy me something nice with it?! Or yourself, i guess! :p;)
  10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I used the nicorette inhalers - having tried patches, hypnotherapy an about evrything else, 6 months of inhalers and i was free of the demon weed - nearly 3 yrs now.
  11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I did Cold Turkey, tried loads of nicotine substitutes without success, then me my wife just decided to quit whilst on Holiday. over 3 years now. Still get the odd urge now and again but have managed to resist so far.
  12. If you put a patch over each eye then you wont be able to find your fags.
  13. yank67

yank67 Member

I will give you a thump if I see you light up if you like! Are you sure it was May?
  14. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Thats brilliant, You've just made my day!

Aren't the patches actually more expensive than cigs anyway?
  15. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

No Lectures or suggestions - just a cautionary tale!!

Seven years and a few days ago, I was 55, 10.5 stone, active and on a good diet.Seven years ago today, I came home from Southampton General Hospital to recover from a heart attack which came completely out of the blue:eek:. I smoked for just about forty years, with a couple of short-lived attempts to give up, but I, like many friends and relatives, thought I was indestructible - I found out otherwise!! I'm still here, 11 stone, still active and still on a good diet, but I gave up that night seven years ago. From your occupation you will know, Elvis, all the risks, and all the reasons for giving up, I wish I'd never started like a great many others, but I got a second chance. My car, house and clothes don't smell of smoke any more, my breathing (although not necessarily my playing!) is so much better, and I'm five or six quid a day better off.
    It sounds like you've got a loving and supportive family like mine, with their love and help, you can do it. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
  16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Go for it. Give up because you want to. Not because of any feelings of duty or scaredness, but simply because you decide it's not for you. I'm just passing my 4th anniversary, used patches, never think of them now, even when driving behind a smoker.:tup
  17. dbenson

dbenson New Member

Just as a word of warning, concerning the electronic cigarette, there are many cheap chinese imitations around so watch what you are buying.