Giving up Smoking

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by splitz, Mar 6, 2008.

1. splitz

splitz New Member

Hey all,

I'm currently in a battle to give up the fags... Been smoking for 11 years and really want to give up (it's been 2 days since my last one now...) and would like to hear any stories you have about how giving up smoking has affected your playing. It was moving to a bigger instrument that made me realise the effect that it was having on me...

All the best,

Splitz

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    STUART HAIGH
    lung capacity
    glock wo
    battye bass section pav
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Talk to Essex Elvis :D

He gave up at New Year.

4. Esscee

Esscee New Member

I too have just stopped after about 15 years smoking. I haven't had a ciggie now for 3 weeks & 2 days.

Are you using any aids (patches etc)?

5. Pav

Pav Member

Good luck with the quitting.

Me & the Mrs gave up 7 weeks ago.

I'm playing percussion at the moment, so the only effect for me in band has been wanting to throw my sticks at people when they annoy me.

Mrs Pav plays Eb bass though, and she reckons it's had a huge effect on her breathing. From what she's said, it's like there's an extra 10% there when you need it.

Who'd have thought smoking would have affected your lung capacity? ;)

6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I quit smoking on 1st Jan 2007 after about 18 years. I had tried many times before but finally cracked it with the help of lozenges and this website...

http://www.click2quit.co.uk/stop-smoking-community/discussion

My advice would be to ignore negative comments, stick with it, use all available resources, never think "just one more" and enjoy the experience if possible. Remember the most dangerous time is when you think you don't need one - I found previously at about 3 months - that is when you become the most vunerable as the "just one more" thought starts to nag at you.

Good luck - it will be the best decision you will make.

As for the playing, it definately helps. Maybe the rest of my front row will disagree....
    I think it certainly helps you to breathe properly which it turn allows you to support the sound etc.

Tim

7. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

I am currently in the process of quitting to, been about a week, and im already noticing that i can play longer without getting short of breathe, im hopeing it keeps improving as time goes on

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Just under 2 years since I quit - after trying many many times before, the difference this time was the nicotine inhalers - they gave me both something to do with my hands and also dealt with the nicotine withdrawal.

9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Yep , knocked it on the head on new years eve ! First few days I did ok without too many cravings , but it really kicked in after about a week and I made poor Leyfy's life a misery for a while - nearly lost it completely in Chelmsford one morning !

I went the cold turkey route as I did not like the gum . What i miss more than anything is the physical action of lighting up and holding the tabs rather than the actual nicotine.

Still having cravings , and I fear I gave in once (after spending all day in pub watching rugby and being a little sozzled ) - suffice to say that the reaction I gotfrom the good woman was enough to ensure it won't be done again !

What has helped a lot is the fact that since January we've had quite a lot of extra rehearsals ( Butlins and area ) , and what with band jobs and quite a few family events i'm only going down my local a couple of nights a week so that helps .

The one I really miss is after my first coffee of a morning , although a change of job has helped - when I worked at The Heart Hospital three of my fellow Ward Sisters / Charge Nurses smoked so we used to go out together at set times of the day for a smoke ( I know , very poor for a cardiac unit ! ) whereas now I'm at HQ there is not a smoking culture as far as I have seen .

I can't really judge how its helped in terms of playing cos I moved on to Eb bass and so the breath requirements have increased , I'll have to dig my euph out and see how much more endurance I have now in comparison to previously .

Given that i was a late starter in terms of picking up the filthy habit , I did notice when I startedc playing again in 04 after a 5 year gap that there was a noticeable reduction in the amount of time I could go between breaths .

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Good luck with quitting, I gave up nearly 3 years ago after about 16/17 years smoking. I went the cold turkey route. It was tough for about the first 5 to 6 weeks, especially when having a pint.

As a previous poster said, after a couple of months or so when you've beat the habit and the cravings, be very wary of the 'it won't mind if I just have one, I'm no longer hooked' thoughts you'll get in your head. It's surprising how long after you've given up that these thoughts come back to you as well.

One of the other things I missed was smoker's corner (after rehearsals, waiting around to play at contests etc) as this was generally where all the banter took place.

11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

two and a half years now ( after having smoked for 20 years ). Myself and the wife both used sheer willpower. I'd tried before with patches and gum and all it did was keep up the nicotine craving so I ended up back on the smokes again.

Certainly my playing seems easier and my wallet certainly is. Just wished I'd done it years ago ( like 20 years ago! :D ).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    STUART HAIGH
    lung capacity
    glock wo
    battye bass section pav

13. I agree that cold turkey is the best way to go (and it's cheaper than all those patches etc). Especially with the no smoking in pubs etc it made it a lot easier.

As for affecting practice, well I certainly have more lung capacity, can breath more easilly and hold a note longer - great for playing timps!!!!!

:biggrin:

14. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I gave up over 30 years ago (on 7 May 1975, if you must know = 7.5.75 easy to remember!). This was my second attempt, the first failed after 6 months, so don't ever get complacent. It's all too easy to slip back into the old habits.

Even now there's the odd occasion when I fancy a fag, but then I remember how horrible they taste.

I never think of myself as a non-smoker - that is only true of someone who has never smoked (like my long-suffering wife). I just think to myself (even now) that I could smoke if I wanted to, I just choose not to. That way I avoid the mind-set of desparately wanting to do something I've been forbidden to do (even though I've forbidden myself).

If you find it difficult not to have one with, say, the first coffee of the day, have tea instead. Apparently, after the first 10 days, it's simply (ha, ha) a matter of breaking the habit, the body no longer craves the nicotine. I found changing routines, like having coffee instead of tea, very beneficial in my fight against the weed.

It's a difficult thing to do, but soooooo worthwhile. Your health improves, your clothes don't smell (unless you've got other problems :)) and the effect on your wallet is dramatic.

Keep at it, don't let the weed win.

15. splitnote

splitnote Member

well done to all the quitters, i myself smoked for a long time too and have been off for about 3 yrs, I now work for a smoking cessation project and would recommend groups (evidence shows that they are 4 x more effective than going alone).

Im the worst kind of ex smoker, even the smell of a smoker makes me gag!

16. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

If you have never smoked you have 50% more lung capacity.. good for the battye bass section pav !

17. smaca

smaca Active Member

Well done to all the folks who have quit the habit or are trying to. Can be hard at times, but worthwhile.

I quit the fags(and bevvy) nearly 18 years ago.Secret for me(especially at the beginning) was to tackle the problem a day at a time. To focus on not taking that first fag, just for one day. One fag would set up the craving, so thats the one I would avoid.To try and stop anything for life mentally(especially at the beginning) can be a tall order for some.

Glad to say today its as natural for me not to smoke as it was to smoke 18 years ago. Good luck to all, and I wish everyone well on this.(definately helps the playing)

18. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

I managed to stop last September using Patches that I was given on prescription. I very much doubted that the patches would work, but since putting on the first patch, I haven't touched a cigarette since. You do still need a certain amount of willpower, but they do work.

Good Luck with the quitting, it's well worth it in the end.

19. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

When I quit I downloaded a "quit meter" to keep me motivated... just had a look now and it is quite impressive;

I have been quit for 1 Year, 2 Months, 5 Days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 55 seconds (430 days). I have saved £2,022.89 by not smoking 8,608 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 21 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 01/01/2007 21:58

20. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Last fag I had was at the areas last year in Stevenage. Only took me 35 odd years to stop, but stopping was reasonably pain free. Used patches for first week, then nothing after that. Just made sure I changed routine enough to not be in the position of expecting a fag at certain times in the day.

21. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Glad to here your still on the wagon Dave, well done. :clap: :clap:

22. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Money was my driving force......saving over £200 a month now :biggrin: :biggrin: