Girl Power! - one for British Open history books?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Ex-Pat BBb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Ex-Pat BBb

Ex-Pat BBb New Member

I have a question for any stattos out there...

Is Michelle Hocking (Eb Bass, Tredegar) the first female Bass player ever to win an Open?

She's a great player, top bird and as passionate and committed as any BandsMAN so it would be a richly deserved accolate for 'our Chelicous'

Adrian Dalton
    (former BBb - Flowers Band)
  2. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Good question and I've been giving it some thought. We won't have to do too much trawling through history books as according to a 4br article a year or two ago...

156 useless fact

25. The first woman playing member of a winning band is believed to be Debra Batt of the City of Coventry Band who won in 1981. There are no records of anyone else doing it before her.

Of course we can't just assume Ms Batt wasn't a Bass player. Anyone know what instrument she played?

So we only have to look at the winners since 1981.

1982 - Besses 'o 'th Barn
    i'm pretty sure they were all male at that time

1983, 85, 86, 92, 95, 05 & 06 - Black Dyke
    Were definately all male until 98 which just leaves their last two wins, I can assure you their Basses were all fellas for those two as well

1984 & 91 - Grimethorpe
    Have only just signed their first female (Sheona White)

1987, 93 & 98 - Fairey
    Were all male until only a few years ago

1988 - GUS
    I genuinely don't know (anyone know who their 4 Basses were?)

1989 - Swinton

1990 - Sun Life
    Definately an all male band until their end a few years later

1994 - BNFL
    Pretty sure they were still all male at that time

1996 - Marple
    Possible, again can anyone else help?

1997, 99, 01 & 03 - YBS
    Had ladies but I know none of them were Bass players

2000, 02, 07 & 09 - Cory
    I can't think of any female Basses their either

2004 & 08 - Fodens
    Again, unlikely

So there are one or two remote possibilities but I think the aforementioned Ms Hocking has a good claim, well done to her (and everyone else at Tred of course)
  3. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Debbie Batt played Tenor Horn in the winning performance of 'Variations on a Ninth'
  4. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Swinton's basses were all male, as were Marple's.
  5. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

GUS Basses in 1988 were Roy Hudson, Mike Rae, John Grimshaw and Adrian Cooksey.
  6. Ex-Pat BBb

Ex-Pat BBb New Member

Wow, thanks for the response everyone. Looks like it's a title she can lay claim to then.

Next to start up a campaign to get The British Open to officlally acknowledge it somehow - a little glass trophy perhaps or a blue plaque to put up outside the house she was born in :biggrin:
  7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Besses had Emma on Bb bass but I'm nearly certain she wouldn't have been playing with them for another 10 years at that time.
  8. tojo

tojo Member

got a feeling christeen legget may have played e flat for coventry
  9. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

I`m sure michelle was the first girlie to play and win the British open on EEb, obviously it`s only an EEb and as she spent 2 years swearing at me while I played so lovely on BBb in Stinchcombe, I can only say, one day she will get a promotion to the real bass section!. So thats 2 open winners I know now, Tony Nash, BBb, phew and dodgy mushy......:).
    Oh and Sun life had a female playing for them, Alison Millin, euphonium player, I know it`s not a proper instrument, but she is my cuzzzzzzzz.
  10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Either way she had a damn good celebrate on Saturday night! Well done Michelle, and all at Tredegar!
  11. Ex-Pat BBb

Ex-Pat BBb New Member

12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

A fine achievement indeed, and glad to someone bucking the stereotype of top-level bass playing as being the preserve of blokes of a certain circumferance. :clap:

Just one thing though.

The 'man' at the end of several English words (chairman, bandsman, fisherman, etc.) does not necessarily imply gender. It's a hangover from the old briton/anglo-saxon where waepman or just mann meant a male person and wifman meant a female person.

For the same reason that 'midwife' can be used for both men and women, as the 'wife' in that comes from the same place, and refers to the expectant mother, not the practitioner.

So she can quite happily call herself a bandsman if she so chooses and be justly proud of it, and her achievement. :)
  13. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

14. Kjata

Kjata Member

Yep just you!
    So it's 4br who are the cloud in Dyke's life...